Food aggression?

cleopurrtra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10-month old spayed female cat and my roommate has a 5-6 month old spayed female cat. We brought them together about 3 months ago they get along very well. However, my roommates cat, Alice, seems to have a case of food aggression. Ever since they got her she has displayed this behavior. She is extremely food-oriented and goes crazy when there is food around. She will attack my cat for her food, and even attack people for the food they are eating. We can no longer leave food on our kitchen counters because she will jump up there and eat anything she can find--even food left on plates in the sink. If I am feeding my cat I will have to put her in a separate room, but even then Alice is meowing at the door and scratching at the door trying to get in. Recently, she has started hissing at you if you try to get her away from the food she is eating or mess with her food in any way. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to stop it? 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was Alice a "rescue" kitten? Perhaps the trauma of having not enough to eat makes her see every meal as the last. You can also ask your room mate to have her checked by a veterinarian. Ravenous appetite is a symptom of early stages of diabetes. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleopurrtra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she wasn't a rescue kitten, however she was brought to us at about 6 weeks old which is well before she should have been taken from her mother. Do you think this might have something to do with her behavior around food?