Food aggression and obsession

feralhound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have four cats, the older from ages 2-6, and a kitten that just turned a year old. The three older cats I don't have a problem with feeding, sure they get a little rambunctious but all three know where their Own bowls are and once the food is put down will stay there and eat their own food, only eating any other cats food after that cat has left (usually only leaving a few kibbles). I feed all my cats twice a day, a measured amount, and all but one are on the same dry food (one is on canned cd).

Now the kitten. He acts like he's starving, and is completely obnoxious about his food. If anyone gets near him while he's eating he starts spitting and growling while he's shoving his face full of food. I have to put him in a carrier before feeding anyone, because he will forcefully grab the bowls out of my hand or try climbing up me or anything else to get to them. While I'm preparing the wet food he's constantly jumping on the counters, if I squirt him with waster he jumps off then back on within a minute. And repeatedly until I move towards their food room. I can't even feed the dog before I lock him up or else he'll start woofing down her food, growling and spitting with a mouthful. And if I don't feed him in a carrier, he'll go to everyone else's dish and violently tear into their food before returning to finish what little he left in his bowl.

And he's horrible with people food too. I never let him eat human food, but he's so obcessed with trying to eat whatever I have- he will grab the plate/utensils right out of my hand, usually ending up with a mess on the floor. He doesn't respond to being squirted with water at all when its people food (any other time, if he's on sonething I don't want him on, I can either verbally comand him down and he'll listen, or give him one squirt with waster and he's down and will stay down). One time I was eating a hard boiled egg, he tried to grab the plate from my hand, some hard shells fell. He's fast so I hesitated a little before picking them up, thinking he'll taste them spit them back out and loose interest. Not the case, he ate a mouthful and tried to go back for seconds before I swooped him up.

And he eats so fast he gives himself gas, his stomach always looks bloated after he eats, and he burbs and passes gas after his meals when he's sitting next to me sucking on his blanket (another disgusting habit).

Hes not a big cat, he's maybe 7 -8 pounds, and isn't skinny either. when I first got him he had to be isolated in another room in a cage for 6 weeks, and since he was alone and a 4 month old kitten I freefed him. I noticed if I pet him while he was eating he would start growling, so it's not like he just developed this. I feel like it's gotten so much worse though.

I hate feeding him in his carrier since there are times I have forgot him and left for work, since one of my cats takes forever to eat. I got a little "puzzle feeder" that he has to stick his paw in and grab each kibble individually to get it, and I feel this helps with the gas but not the behavior. He's still just as manic around me when I eat, and about getting the other cats' and dog food. Fish food as well. I now feed him in the living room, and lock the other cats in their food room which they don't mind, for a good 15 min so that everyone is done.

I'd there anyone out there that could give me any advise?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralhound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little over 1/4 cup twice a day. Sometimes I'll give everybody a tablespoon or two of wet food as well.

feralhound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not exactly sure of his exact weight but he's smaller than my 9 pound cat. He definently has a little pudgy belly on him. I want to say he's 8 pounds. I can't remember when I dropped his food, but I believe it was around 2 months ago around 10 months of age. But I can remember him doing the same thing even when he was getting 1 1/2 cups a day before/during his growth spurt. I've always fed based on the body of my cats, it seems to have worked the best for me. Someone gets a little too skinny I bump up their food, someone gets too pudgy I cut back.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try feeding him 1/4 to 1/2 cup more and if you can three times a day. What brand are you feeding?

Last edited:

feralhound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've started feeding him 1/4c more a day, so 1 1/2 of a 1/4c scoop twice a day. He gets Chicken Soup for the cats soul, and sometimes I'll give him some solid gold wet food. I haven't tried feeding him three times a day, it's such an ordeal twice a day I don't really think I'm up to handling it three times at least yet. Inlitterly have to pry him off the food bin as soon as I open it he just dives right in. That kind of behaviour hasn't changed in the week since I've been feeding him more, nor has the counter surfing. I have noticed feeding him away from the other three in a separate room with the slow feeder has helped with the frantic behavior after the feeding; until I open the door anyways.