Fog Has Poor Prognosis

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my husband and I took Fog to the vet this afternoon. I'm so sad. The nerves to his hind end and tail aren't working. When she gently pricked him with a needle she could only get a skin shiver reflex on his left leg, none on right or tail. Apparently there's nothing to do.

So he's back home and as long as he's eating well, enjoying being loved on, and doesn't give us that "What's happening to me?" panic-stricken look we're to keep on loving him up, warming tuna fish and cat food for him.

Blessing is that cats don't look ahead. Fog just takes things as they come. He got stuck in the litter pan yesterday evening, sitting on his bum with his hind legs out in front and his tail straight out in back, thrashing and trying to get out. I helped him out, cleaned off the litter stuck to his backside, legs, and tail. And he was purring and happy to eat the snack I'd brought him.

No idea if wer'e talking a couple of days, a week, or what time span before I have to let him go over the Rainbow Bridge.

It is so hard to see the blurry keyboard through these tears.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, I'm so sorry for the poor prognosis. Cherish all the days you have with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind thoughts, stephanietx and gailuvscats. According to my vet, it is degenerative nerve damage. If Fog was a dog she'd suspect myasthenia gravis (not that there's anything to help with that) but he's a cat.

Symptoms of HCM are heart murmur, lethargy, poor appetite, panting, or labored breathing, and weakness or paralysis of the back legs. Saddle thrombosis resulting from HCM comes on suddenly and is very painful.

You could say Fog is lethargic, but poor boy, his hind end is so weak and floppy that it is hard to get around. He does traverse a few feet to get to the litter pan, and a couple of feet to his food and water bowls. His appetite is excellent, and his breathing is fine. He's not in any pain. He had a bunch of X-rays last week, including side view and there was nothing abnormal with his heart.

So good thought, but it doesn't seem like HCM. Just a lousy situation where the nerves in his hind end are "old" even though his mind / brain is just fine.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor boy - it must be so hard for you to see him like that. But he will tell you when he has had enough. Meanwhile, all you can do is give him all the love he so obviously needs.

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for the poor prognosis. Enjoy the time you have with Fog.

soraya69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having just lost my beloved cat Fleur, I just wanted to drop a line and wish you strength, and please cherish each and every moment you have left with Fog. I did my best to spend as much time as I could with Fleur, but it still doesn't feel like I did enough. Hope Fog lasts longer than the doctors think, and you get to create many more memories together...

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the situation. I hope he goes gently. And I hope you can accept that his time has nearly come to move on and that you gave him the best life you could here in this world.

I just love the name "Fog!" Is he gray? I have two DLH gray cats. They look like Nebelungs. The female is named Ariel, but her nickname is "The Gray Ghost." The male's name is Harlow, but more than that I call him "Cloud Cat."

Best wishes to you during this difficult time. Kiss him on his nose for me.

Robin

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry - it's a blessing he has you to love him and care for him so tenderly. Prayers for all of you during this hard time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of my beautiful boy, taken last year.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry. Fog is a beauty. Love him and enjoy every day you have. Hugs.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's just wonderful! What an interesting face and lovely color.

I wish we didn't have to lose our dear cats at some point. It's the worst thing about them.

Cherish the time you have with him.

Robin

P.S. I think my Ariel will now be called (as her 2nd name which we use a lot) "The Fog Ghost" in honor of your Fog. I hope you don't mind.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous! So sorry for this unhappy time. I am not sure what is worse, having them suddenly leave you, or knowing they will be going soon.
Peace be with you.