Flying with cat- please help.

soccerash21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a few weeks, I will be flying from California to visit my family back home in Chicago. Its around a 4 1/2 hour flight. I adopted a stray kitten back in October, who is now 9 months old. My fiance and I just moved here, so we don't really have anyone that we can trust to watch her while we are gone. And I do not feel comfortable leaving her at a pet hotel with people that I don't know. So it looks like she will be flying with us. Problem is, I'm terrified to do it. I've never done it before, so I have no idea what to expect. I already have the correct carrier and know that the airline we are flying does not require any certificates. I have read millions of forums on flying with cats, but I'm still worried about it. The few times that we have had friends over at our apartment, our cat runs and hides under the bed until she knows they are gone. And if we try to pick her up and bring her out while they are here, she immediately runs away and hides. But when it's just us here, she's perfectly fine. I know I am going to have to take her out of the carrier at security, and I plan on buying a harness and leash for when I need to do this. But I'm still terrified that she is going to bolt out of my arms and run around the airport and get lost. And I have no idea how she is going to act on the plane. She does okay in the car, but thats completely different. I've read so much about whether or not to give sedatives or other medicine, and I think I have decided not to mainly because Idk how she will react to it. I'm just scared, and I'm seriously debating not even going home because I am so worried about this. Do I feed her before the flight? and after? Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thanks

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site :D :clap::clap::clap::clap: I would strongly urge you to find a reputable petsitter and not take your new stray cat whom you just took in and rescued four months ago. I would start with your vet's office and ask for recommendations - there are so many wonderful pet sitting services and someone could come in the home OR you could find a nice boarding facility. I prefer home visits and the cats are much better off staying at home.

I am concerned that this cat will be much worse off - stress wise - if you took her with. Just some things to consider. At the airport - even with a leash and harnes - cats can become so incredibly fearful to the point of thrashing so badly - and if she does get away - that would be the most terrifying, traumatic experience of her life, lost in an airport :nervous: Also - when you arrive at your parent's - where will she be staying.... Is she microchipped, collar and tag? Stress can cause all sorts of health problems for cats too. If you had the cat longer than the four month's and she was well adjusted (which is sounds like she is not - yet) then I cannot and would not recommend you taking her on this trip. IF you do - I would absolutely talk with a vet about a sedative - 100% yes. Good luck and hopefully other's will chime in with their advice as well. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

dinah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a real sweetie with our family but hates strangers, she hisses at anyone that comes into our home.  Last July we flew for 10 hours nonstop from Washington state to France.  She was about the same age as your kitty.  I was so worried she would be crying the whole time but she wound up sleeping the whole way.  She rode in a carrier, in the cabin with us, also our chihuahua rode in a carrier in the cabin.  We had to take them both out at the security checkpoint at the Seattle airport.  I did not use sedatives.  Your vet should give you a sample dose to try on your kitty in advance of the trip to see how it affects her.  It did not affect my animals in a positive way so I did not use them for the flight.

Also, my cat had health problems, so I seriously considered finding her a new home instead of bringing her with us, to avoid all the extra stress.  But my vet and others advised that it would be more stressful for her to adjust to a new family than enduring the flight. 

You are in a different situation but I just wanted to share our experience.

We used one of those soft carriers with one solid side and the other side mesh with a privacy flap you can lower over the mesh.  Also, we fed before, during, and after the flight. 

How long are you going to be gone?

Last edited:

nekoha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I flew from the US to Japan about 18 months ago with my two cats.  They are both quite a bit older than your baby, but did well, considering.  Will you be taking a direct flight, or do you have to make a connection?  We flew from a small airport, so we had to take a small plane for the first leg of the journey.  As a result, we could only take one cat in the cabin, and had to fly separately.  Although we planned to meet up for the second leg of the journey, my flight was delayed and I had to go a different route.  My husband took our younger cat, as she is friendlier and less of a hassle.  Our older cat suffers from severe PTSD and any stress makes her very sick, and I thought I would be better equipped to handle that.  Unfortunately for my husband, our younger cat would not stop HOWLING the entire first flight.  As it was a small plane, everyone could hear her and many complaints were made.  There were so many issues, and so many problems.  Our cats did well, but it definitely made them sick for about 2 weeks after the flight.  Also, I did offer water to my cat and I took her to the bathroom and offered a pet diaper to her, but she never drank anything except what I forced down her throat with a dropper (it was over 20 hours, including connections, and when her nose got dry I gave her a few drops), and refused to use the diaper.  Every vet I spoke to said to take up the food about 6 hours before flying and to stop offering water 1 hour before flying, but to offer water during the flight.  If you want to sedate your kitty, definitely get a sample from the vet.  I don't recommend it, as drugs act wonky at altitude.  If you do decide to fly with your baby, try a natural remedy like Rescue Remedy.  It did nothing for my cats, but I have heard some good stories about it.

I have done many things for boarding my own cats while traveling.  I've left them with friends (usually not a great idea, IMO, as it can cause strain on relationships if your cat acts up while you are gone), I have boarded them at the vet (way too expensive, stressful for the cats, etc), and recently, I have used a pet sitter.  That was the best experience I have had.  I found them online and interviewed the guy first.  I asked to meet the actual person who would be visiting my apartment, and he came over.  My cats of course ran upstairs, but after I interviewed him and found him to be very empathetic, he asked to meet them.  He went upstairs himself, and the cats were fine with him petting them.  He sent me daily reports via email about the cats, and got our flight details.  In case our return flight was delayed, he would take care of the cats an extra day.  Overall, this was the best situation for my cats, personally.  They were in their own home and just had a professional petsitter coming to feed them, check their water, and clean their litterbox every day.  He also went out of his way to check on my older cat, as he was informed of her health issues.

Good luck with what you decide!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to the site!  I'm a newbie too.  I've never actually flown my kitty but I think I would be as stressed as you!

Whenever I got on a vacation (Usually 2 or 3 times a year for about 10 days), I leave her at my home and have a pet sitter visit her twice a day - once in the morning and once a night to give her meds.  She seems to really like my pet sitter.  While I'm gone the sitter leaves little daily notes on what my kitty did while she was there, what they played with and what they chatted about.  I also ask her to text me whenever she visits for my own peace of mind.

While I'm gone I have several kitty music cds that play all day and I have TV and lights on a timer at night so it keeps my normal "routine".  I also leave my shoes or clothes I've worn out on the floor for her so it smells like I'm around.

When I come home my kitty is always in a great mood and comes right out to see me so I know the pet sitter has been nice to her.  You can always get a little nanny cam to put your mind at ease - they have some that you can watch on your laptop or smartphone while you're gone.  I plan to get one soon - not because of the pet sitter, but because I'm trying to monitor my kitties diet and behavior since I'm trying to change things and I'm gone so long during the day.

I found my sitter on the Pet Sitters International website: http://www.petsit.com/

Good luck!

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I flew this weekend with a kitten.  We gave her Rescue Remedy (alcohol free) about 4 hours before the flight, then again just before boarding.  She only complained when the props started and after we landed - I had to agree since I didn't like the loud either. 

My big worry was TSA and it was a breeze.  I gave myself extra time and let people go around me while I talked to the agent to be sure how to handle things.  The baby was in my arms and they put me through the metal detector as opposed to the rotating x-ray machine.  When I got through the agent had the carrier ready and helped me with the zippers.  If only the rest of the trip (sans kitten) had been so easy.