Flying takes guts!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i flew several times a year for over 30 years, never had a scary flight. bumpy, yes, but not scary. my father was an airline pilot, i was a travel agent for 15 years, & my brother works for an airline in reservations/quality control - so we have all flown a lot! i don't think anyone's ever had any major problems.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

Patty, my experience of the transatlantic route at this time of the year is that it is quite a pleasant experience - it's the July and August time that is the scariest.

Don't worry about the long flight, chances are you'll never be far from land. Normally flights go across Canada, Newfoundland, Greenland, near to Iceland and into the UK. You're never far from an airport

They'll feed you so many times and give you so many films to watch the time will go by really quickly.
December/January was scary too!

Yes, we took off from Boston and stayed over Maine and up through Newfoundland, and then headed over the ocean. You are most likely taking an overnight flight, right? You won't be able to see anything when you are flying out there anyway. We landed in Shannon at 6:00 AM and it was really something to see the lights from the small villages of that area lit up while we were landing. You feel like you are entering a whole other world. You need to sleep on the flight over! You are immediately thrown into a rental car with a map to drive on the wrong side of the road. The flight back home was during the day and was much more smooth. We did see 2 movies, had lunch, etc. As I said earlier, you will be looking down at the ocean during the flight back. WE saw giant chunks of ice floating. It was also something when we flew over Newfoundland and could see all the snow on the ground. I was very happy to see some of the landmarks in Maine and realize I was almost home!

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I once had a flight from Detroit to Dallas that lasted 12 hours. Fun, fun. The best part was we missed our connection from A'dam to Detroit, the flight was late coming in and the other flight left a few minutes early! They actually let them leave early!

So, my traveling companions and I waited for about an hour so for the next flight (and second to last one of the day). We got onboard and they had to spray the plane (dead of winter, t-storms, etc). We're moving along toward St. Louis (stormy, plane is rocking, people scared) captain says we're going to make a landing as the plane is leaking oyxgen. Ok, so no more direct flight to Dallas, we'll just land in St. Louis. Apparently, we cant land in St. Louis because of the storms. I got the window seat and as my sister is screaming bloody mary about the turbulance and flashes of lightening, I get to watch St. Louis's storm.
We land in Kanas City. We wait. We wait and wait and I fall asleep. Apparently, we got there so late that all the flights were done so they had to "find" a plane. How do you find a plane? Fly one down from Minnosota! We go from Kanas City to Dallas, get in around midnight or so and I'm so happy to be in Dallas and really wishing that I stayed in the Netherlands for Christmas!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Oh Good lord,I am petrified
of heights Susie,I froze just going on the 'big wheel',Afew years later i tried to overcome my fear by doing a parachute jump with a friend.

I was confident i was going to do it,i looked into all the details,got there on the day,did the training,went 2000ft up in the cessna,climbed out onto the foot step,held onto the strutts,got ready to jump,Then remembered there were 5 seconds between letting go and my 'chute opening........THEN FROZE........

The Instructor had to lean out of the plane and push my foot off the rest and prise my fingers from the strutt.....
.......aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Not something i am proud of!!!

So i will never fly again Susie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Diana, I would have been terrified too!!!

Originally Posted by furryferals

Oh Good lord,I am petrified
of heights Susie,I froze just going on the 'big wheel',Afew years later i tried to overcome my fear by doing a parachute jump with a friend.

I was confident i was going to do it,i looked into all the details,got there on the day,did the training,went 2000ft up in the cessna,climbed out onto the foot step,held onto the strutts,got ready to jump,Then remembered there were 5 seconds between letting go and my 'chute opening........THEN FROZE........

The Instructor had to lean out of the plane and push my foot off the rest and prise my fingers from the strutt.....
.......aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Not something i am proud of!!!

So i will never fly again Susie

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be TERRIFIED to jump out of a plane!! I can't even understand bungy jumping!

Flisssweetpea - OMG, I can't believe that the pilot died! How awful.