Flying Objects

kaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When ever my cat sees a bird or a flying insect he makes this weird noise. It is almost like he is talking to it. He will stare at it for quite a while and then kind of chirp at it. It is almost like a meow that has been cut up into tiny pieces. It is not a normal meow a pur, a hiss or the "in heat" sound. When he first did it I thought there was something wong with his throat or vocal chords but there's not. He only does this "talking" thing when something small is flying. Since this is my first cat I have no idea if it is normal and what it means. I've grown to adore it but I'm still curious as to what this might mean. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to hear from you.

gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kaya
One of my cats does that too. She also makes a chirping noise when watching birds and insects. I'm not sure why she does it. I always figured it had something to do with their hunting instincts but I'm not sure of that. It's funny listening to her make that noise. Our other cat doesn't do it. He just makes himself as low as possible and watches. I don't know how he expects to catch them, though, when there is a window or door between him and his prey. :laughing2

bastetca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first noticed my cat doing this he was sitting on the back of the couch looking out the window at something I couldn't see and I thought he was having a seizure or something! As far as I know it's because they get so excited that they can't make normal sounds. Kind of like when we get so excited we can barely speak.:laughing:

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess some cats make chirpy noises when they are stalking. My pride members (16 at the moment) are either silent. or their teeth chatter like some cartoon character who is freezing in an Alaskan winter. It is quite weird, and they bare their teeth a little so you can see then clashing up and down. The first time one of my cats did it, I thought she was in the last throes of dying. The interesting thing is that the newcats seem to learn it from the verteran pride members. They also gradually adopt the cries of the older cats for wanting something badly, for just saying hello, and for calling for help. This raises the point of a single pride adopting each other's langauge in order to communicate.