Flying for the first time...advice is appreciated!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate flying, even though I have to do it alot. My brother works for Delta so we get really cheap tickets. I always take a book and my mp3 player. If you like crossword puzzles or sudoku, bring that. It will give you something to take your mind off of everything. Also, chew gum on take off and landing to help pop your ears. Just relax and it will be over before you know it! Have a good trip!!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat you have nothing to worry about. If you don't get sick in a car, you shouldn't get sick on a plane. Once you're in the air it's very much like being in a car. After 10 minutes of being in the air, you will forget you're on a plane. Obviously there will still be a bit of turbulence but it's nothing to worry about. Just try not to get nervous during take off and landing. Those are the only parts of flying that I ever found felt a little weird.

And also don't worry about being afraid of heights. I'm scared of heights but when I was on my first flight, I looked out the window and I wasn't scared at all. I assure you there's nothing to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

You're such a sweetheart Helen!

I know a couple of guys that work for AC but they have thousands of employees so who knows. Don't worry about the fear of heights thing though, it's not the same as being in a tall building or standing on a ladder. If it makes you feel any better....I'm afraid of heights too!
OMG Tracy, YOU are afraid of heights!?!?
That really makes me feel better
If you can fly the darn things, I can certainly ride in one

Thanks everyone!! I think I am ready...(
)

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely love to fly!
My favourite part is when the plane taxis along the runway and the speed is awesome!

Just relax and enjoy the flight.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the fear of heights doesn't seem to bother people in a plane. My father was an aviator, flew just about everything the Army had during his career, no problem -- but when I took him to an IMAX movie, he had such terrible vertigo that it brought on a panic attack! Somehow flying is a whole different thing.

You might want to sit on the side of the plane that's away from the sun, so you won't have glare on your windows -- that way you can see better and shoot video of the ground if you want. I have a gorgeous video I shot on a clear night, coming into Dallas on Southwest, with all the lights downtown so close it was almost scary... I just love it!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me the worst part about flying is the takeoff, so I lean my head back on the seat and close my eyes until we're in the air.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like somone mentioned, take some Dramamene...it will help your stomache feel so good! Ecspecially if you are nervous!! That reallt helps me. I just flew a few days ago, and it was my second time. The first time I flew I didn't feel too well but this time I took some of that and I felt soooo much better!! I'll pray for you to have a safe and pleasant flight
!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you should fly with me!!
I hyper-ventilate, vomit, freak out....I am generally the person you DO NOT want to be sitting next to!

Take something along to chew, like gum. Plane food is gross also. Get there plenty ahead of time. Take something to read....flying is boring.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of the recent events (911) air travel is still if not the safest, top 3, means of transportation. As far as discomfort, there is the adjustment to altitude, ears popping during take off, some may experience light headed, dizzy, shortness of breath, tingling in limbs......all related to altitude change.
Just remember, air travel is one of the safest ways to travel. It costs way to much to not try and enjoy it and get the most you can from the experience as possible! As many free peanuts, soft drinks, or meals as possible while comforted by pillows, blankets, headphones, movies...........whatever you can enjoy from the experience!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh you should fly with me!!
I hyper-ventilate, vomit, freak out....I am generally the person you DO NOT want to be sitting next to!

Take something along to chew, like gum. Plane food is gross also. Get there plenty ahead of time. Take something to read....flying is boring.
Remind us never to fly together, lol. I'm all that and worse!

Take lots of pictures to show us when you get back!