Flying Ants?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that it's normal each year but the way my local news publishes this stuff I feel like I'm watching trailers to upcoming B Movies and next t month will be the return of the Killer Tomatoes ( aging myself here), September we'll be seeing T Rex. haha First we had Murder Hornets, then we had flying snakes (and yes I knew those existed too since 1972, and now flying ants. Sometimes though I think the news needs to word their articles better instead of trying for sensationalism. Anyway, how many over in the UK have seen this? Nature intrigues me (unless it's sickness and death or territorial fights)

A swarm of flying ants stretched for miles over the UK and looked like rain on weather radar

Last edited by a moderator:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not in the UK, but when flying ant season hits my area, almost my whole yard (and some neighbors yards as well, have these moving blankets as they come out of the ground and then it's just ants everywhere! We live in a very sandy area, so it's perfect for ants. And no joke, it's crazy to see them swarm and my yard just crawling.
It happens every year in early to mid August for us. What's cool is it lasts only about a week or so, and they will start to come out of the ground between 6 and 7 pm (give or take...it depends on weather too), it's lasts maybe a couple of hours, then nothing till the next evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I have never seen it. I may pull up YouTube and see if there is something about it on there. Maybe they don't come to the Midwest area.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember a flying ant problem a few times in the house while growing up. I remember the cans of Raid that my parents would spray on the windowsills and wherever the ants where found. So flying ants are in the US, probably more common in some areas than others.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently its flying ant season here too. Last night I went out to water my plants just before sunset and it was extremely humid and hot. They kept landing on me and crawling down my shirt. 😖😤 Did you know they bite?! 😤 They do. 😠

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the black ants bite. I have to shake them out of the feral cats food and sometimes one crawls on my arms. I guess I should wear some rubber gloves when doing that. I shake the ants out with a strainer. Yes it works for anyone who cares for feral cats.