FLUTD flare up means...?

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're going to the vet either tomorrow or thursday.

But I would like some clarification, My Maddy cat has started showing signs that his FLUTD is flaring, he's peeing in wrong spots (like, of course, the dogs food.) and I noticed him grooming his area (not constantly, but enough for me to notice anyhow)

He had a blockage in february, when they looked at his urine they said they saw an incredibly low amount of crystals (he has both types) and that his diet was working..

So what I'm wondering if his food is keeping the crystals under control, and he's not blocked, has he just got a UTI/ Bladder infection then?

I'm not sure what it exactly means for him to flare up. I know whats caused it, its stress related, (my feliway will be here in 4-9 days) I just wanted some clarification before I go into the vet office again, I tend to like to have an idea of what is going on.

he's also using yesterdays news litter, we don't use clay litters, wood litters cause to much mess (feline pine) and the last non clay non natural litter I used contributed to his problems quite a bit.

So if someone could tell me if I'm on the right track thinking its a UTI or infection of some sort I'd be interested to know please

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like he's picked up an infection. What can happen is, a little stress may cause the urine to concentrate and form some crystals. The crystals irritate so he starts washing too much down there, which introduces too much bacteria to the area, which causes a bacterial infection.

The crystal formation can be a long time coming, so it could be hard to pin point any specific stress, unless you can think of anything that has happened to him in the past month or two.

or Unusual company, or other activity in the house, perhaps?

Even a fight between you and your husband might cause him stress.

On the other hand since you are alert to the signs, maybe you've caught it before it got to the bacterial infection.

It's a tough disease, especially in males. I'm glad you are getting him to the vet tomorrow. Put him in his carrier at least an hour before the appointment, so he has a full bladder when you get to the vet so they cann get a good sample..

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what the stress is unfortunately.

He's had his problem for a while now, it climaxing into the blockage a month after I rescued Maybelle.

The problem isn't that she's here, but that she doesn't like him and reacts negatively when he's around. I've watched it a bunch of times, he approaches with the happy inquisitive look, she backs into a corner hisses, growls and puts her ears back until he goes away, if he doesn't she poops.

They've gotten better, I've even snapped pictures of them practically nose to nose and not angry, but she's a nervous wreck, and it stresses him.

I was hoping an issue wouldn't arrise, and have done all I can to keep things calm, (they're interactions are strictly supervised, she's in one room of the house, shut off if we aren't around, and very occasionally we get her to come out into the house) she reacts to sight of him, not scent. I spent the time doing the shirt under the dish game, so I'm hoping the feliway in here will help relieve her tension, to help relieve his, and if it works, we're getting a seccond one as soon as we manage a clear outlet (we're limited, and they're all behind or under furniture)

at least I know he does okay with the antibiotics, I probably even have some bottles sitting around from our last vet nightmare (not going to use them just a joke)

so thank you,

at least I know I was on the right track.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for an update on Madison?

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet, they made me angry, no open appointments when I asked, and then didn't bother offering any to me either. if the vet wasn't so good I'd stop going their receptionists are aweful.(too many stories for details)

But, Madisons issue has cleared up for now. No more peeing, no more grooming I cut off his access to Maybelle, which was his stress factor, and he calmed back down and we're back to very limited interaction.

The Feliway will be here soon, and I was just informed about Calming cat collars that emit a similar pharamone to help calm stressed cats, I'm going to look into it further, but it seems like it might help my little man a bit.

So at the very least, my snuggle bunnie is doing better and we can hopefully get a vet check this coming week (mon, wed, or thurs) if not the following.

EDIT: I'd like to add, that I am still "hawking" (so to speak) on what he's doing and how he's behaving, just so you guys don't think I'm shrugging off or ignoring his signs, I've already had far too many issues with him to let anything slide if it was there, so please don't feel I'm ignoring my kitty, if anything, he gets special treatment, he's the baby of my fur family

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I'm glad he has shaken it off, this time.

I will tell you though that I would never accept being put off by an self important receptionist at the vet. Madison did okay this time, but I know you know a male cat blockage is an emergency, and the next time you are faced with some self important over protective receptionist either ask to speak to someone in charge, or simply hang up, put your cat in the carrier and walk in with him.

Vets leave openings in their day for emergencies. Sure you can't call up and expect to get an appointment in a day or two for a check up, or maybe even for a cat scratching herself bald. But...a urinary tract issue? That is a different story.

Off my soap box now, glad he's okay.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a plan B for that.

When Madison had his blockage, My vet was conveniently closed for the week on conference. They send you somewhere out in I don't know where (local vet is a joke of an idea in my area) so I took him somewhere that I knew their location. They got him in that night, took him in the next morning as an emergency (why they sent me home still peevs me) and handled everything. They also have emergency contacts and what not, something my vet does not.

i've had that reception staff sit there and completely degrade and insult the breed of my dog while I'm standing there with her sitting calmly at my feet behaving better than any other animal in the waiting room, they're just idiots. But my vet is great. I couldn't ask for a better vet, she listens to me, is always curious how/where I came up with my diagnosis, and very happy to prove me right.

now that I'm done with my vet review, I think my point was, Madison has a back up vet in case of emergency just for that reason. That vet may talk to me like I'm an idiot, but at least they're there and I know they'll do well by my Maddy cat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a chronic FLUTD boy. He pees in the dog food bowls when he has a UTI and blocks under stress (we had the 1AM ER visit the night that a friend of ours died and he picked up on the fact that we were stressed that day). Even though you think you are beyond this, keep a very close eye on his pee habits for a bit. He still might have a UTI.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not a problem there.

Like I said, he's the baby of my family, my pride and joy, and I constantly watch what he's doing and how he's behaving, peeing places or not.

and we have plan A and B as far as vets, and will be scheduling a vet appt this week if not next depending on how their schedule suits them. I've already had the run around with him on this, so I'm well aware of what needs to be looked for, noticed, done, and where both emergency vet clinics are in the area as well as their phone #'s.