FLUTD diet question

Fritten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9yo MN kiddo blocked for the first time last month. He didn't have any stones or crystals to speak of, so I was recommended to just increase water intake with wet food. So he was fed both wet and dry and I hoped it was the end of it.

Well, just brought him home after blocking again and this time we had crystals. So going foreword I have a prescription for a urinary diet and a script of gabapentin. My question is, since there is both dry and wet hills c/d, royal canin s/o and Purina varieties... can I still do both wet and dry? My boy likes his crunches but obviously needs to increase his water intake.

As a bit of background, he is in a multiple animal household and has done well up until one of my roommates adopted a puppy.

Thanks in advance!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fritten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do play classical music in all rooms in my house, and my roommate is currently working on training with said puppy.

I'm going to give this a read right now, I can't really afford a p/u surgery or another unblocking back to back so hopefully I can get this under control

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The canned food is best. The dry, even though a prescription diet is not good for cats.
Stress does come into play with this. I would make sure all of your cats needs are met. Cat tree, play time, a window to look out, plenty of places high up to observe below.
I would keep the puppy away from the cat.

Fritten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to know. I was kind of wondering what the point of the prescription dry food was if the point is that hes not drinking enough water.

Also puppy stays in roommates room and only comes through the house on leash since he had his first obstruction. I'm trying to limit their interaction as much as possible.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good idea. You have to keep stress to the minimum.
What kind of puppy?

Fritten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a 3 month old Boxer mix.