Fluffy is a big pain in the butt!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a tiny girl that was abandoned Christmas Eve and we took her in and kept her. She is SO bad! I cannot leave any food like bread or cookies in my bread basket, she will steal them and chew them up. She got in my cabinet and I caught her with a bag of buns in her mouth, teetering on the edge of the cabinet, about to fall, but would not let go of the bag she had stolen. I found the buns all over my kitchen floor this morning, no clue how she got them this time. She gets in the sink to look for bits of food left on plates, gets her fluffy tail wet, and runs through the house. She has broken several expensive collectibles, as well as several pieces of huge sentimental value, and ruined my gold sash from graduation. All my mini blinds are trashed from her breaking off pieces to peek out, or hanging from them.
She loves to be held, but will hiss and bite if I put her down before she wants to go. She gets along with Pepper and Scooter, but picks on poor Pearl, who has returned to living under the bed.
When she is sweet, she is adorable, but I have never seen a 4 lb cat be so obnoxious! I don't know what I am going to do with her. She will always have a home with me, but I need some way to get her to behave, or at least stop trashing my stuff! She is spayed, and probably about 8 months old. Any suggestions will be appreciated before I pull my hair out or commit kittycide!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to say this, but I am sitting here with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard over the mental picture of a four pound cat teetering on the edge of the cabinet with a bag of buns in her mouth!

She sound like a real handful.

Fluffy sounds just like a cat described in the book Is Your Cat Crazy by animal behaviorist John Wright. Here at Amazon.

You might want to pick up a copy of his book or the book Twisted Whiskers by Pam Johnson-Bennett as well. Here at Amazon.

Both of these books have great suggestions for whirling dervishes like Fluffy.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I laughed a little bit too (okay, maybe a lot) at some of her antics. I think it's funny that she hisses and bites if you put her down before she's had her requisite cuddle time!

Although I don't have any advice for you, I know there are plenty of experts here who will give you some good concrete tips.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry but...
I cannot leave any food like bread or cookies in my bread basket, she will steal them and chew them up. She got in my cabinet and I caught her with a bag of buns in her mouth, teetering on the edge of the cabinet, about to fall, but would not let go of the bag she had stolen. I found the buns all over my kitchen floor this morning, no clue how she got them this time.

That is hysterical! And how can you even get mad, if your hysterically laughing?! I would've been snapping pictures! LuckyGirl was exactly like this when we brought her home/took her in... minus the hissing, I don't think she knows how...she only purrs almost all day! Also, 4lbs @ 8mos was what Lucky was when we found her and the vet said she was very under weight. Maybe she's hungry... and she's used to being a scavenger, she doesn't know any better yet. I think it will just take time... I was very surprised that my baby tamed as fast as she did. 2 months now and she still comes out with trash in her mouth like she hit the kitty lottery! And she also broke a few things (crystal) and I immediately took all my stuff and put them into drawers until she got acclimated. She had no concept of boundaries...and would jump into the entertainment center... she still does that, she'll be sitting along side the x-box, under the dvd player peeking out like she's spying. She's so cute!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am laughing as well, my Bit used to do that stuff ALL the time. We even caught him opening up the refrigerator and ripping open bags of food. Here's what we did: 1. We bought a baby lock for the :censor::censor::censor::censor: and cabinets. 2. We started playing with him right before meal time, just to tire him out. 3. We got a lot of hanging toys so he could entertain himself so we didn't have to constantly pet him and pick him up.

Just remember as they age it gets better, in fact you will miss her little as she gets more independent.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to admit I'm laughing too at the mental image that conjures up
(sorry!). She's a kitten - that's what kitten's do! Some are just a bit more destructive than others. If she's damaging your blinds just leave them up so that she can see out of the window, if she's breaking ornaments put the valuable ones away for a while until she's bigger and stick the others down with blu tac, if she goes in the sink to get food off plates make sure there's no food left on the plates. When she's all grown up she'll stop doing these things and you'll miss her doing them! And keep them buns under lock and key!

Oh, and the next time she turns bun thief have a camera handy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My camera batteries are currently dead, or I would have pics. It was all I could do not to fall out laughing at her, even though I was mad. She is completely unrepentant, and twitches her tail at me when I fuss at her or tell her to get down. Then she runs to Daddy when he gets home like I have been abusing her all the time he is at work. I just peeled her off the blinds above the computer, and got smacked on top of the head. She is just SO cute! The vet says she is at least part Maine Coon, and you know those angelic little faces. i have put up the most valuable dust catchers, and she is less interested in my shelves now. If I can just get her past her kittenhood without making fuzzy slippers out of her, I hope she will be a lovely little snugglebug like she is sometimes now.