Fluffball.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not talking about the cats. I'm talking about my house.
I have two cats and three dogs, all big moulters. I collect, on a daily basis, enough fluff to fill a football stadium. No, two stadiums. I've been through lots of vacuums who all give up the ghost eventually.
If I could monetize it, I'd be a wealthy man.
How's your place?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been spending most of my time outside doing yard work, so the housework has suffered. One shedding cat and it is baaaaaad.

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wooden floors, add dust that collects with the hair and it becomes twice as bad haha I don´t really get wired up about the cats shedding, I´m used to it and it´s going to happen whether I like it or not. When I sweep, it seems like 2 hours later i never swept and I need to sweep again, so i only sweep when I deem it necessary haha

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don´t really get wired up about the cats shedding, I´m used to it and it´s going to happen whether I like it or not.
Ditto! :agree:

Before our dog went to the bridge I would find tumbleweeds in the same corners in the same rooms regardless of how many times I swept or picked them up. I think it just goes along with having pets and one more reason why we accept sharing our home with them. :biggrin:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think my house has that much hair. My carpet is also REALLY good at hiding things, so I could be totally wrong. When I brush the dog and cats I don't get much off of them- maybe half a brush full? They don't seem to shed a lot. Especially the dog, I never see his hair. I know he does shed, but very little.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Hair, hair, everywhere. I would swear Darwin jumps into the bathtub and ejects all of his loose fur. We have a hair catcher in the drain and it seems when we turn the water on, it promptly fills with gray hair (he's a Russian blue). Velcro leaves a trail of shiny black fur. Chocolate grooms a bit, but she also pulls out clumps of her topcoat. It doesn't seem to hurt, and she never develops any bald patches or skin problems. I suspect it's a stress habit she developed in her six months at the shelter. She completely removed her winter coat that way. Brushing her yields very little hair. We find the clumps everywhere. At least we know where she's been.

For a delightful view on shedding/moulting, visit Smith. Smith, the darker one, just wants his life to run smoothly. His lighter-colored sister, Jones, is a scatterbrain who drags Smith into her messes. It's a British strip, so you'll see some different terms. You'll also meet other cats and even a morose rabbit. It's a great strip by someone who understands cats very well.

Smith :: Moulting | Tapas

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have quite a problem with "tumbleweeds" when our cat population was larger and there were longhairs. Sadly, now there are only 3 here, all shorthairs, and my Dirt Devil HEPA-filtered vacuum takes very good care of the carpets. I clean the laminate and tile floors weekly, and I brush my cats as frequently as they wish. My own hair is more of a hazard, as it is 3' long and wiry. I call it the "vacuum cleaner killer" but it has also done in a weed whacker. :eek:

Puppylove3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not talking about the cats. I'm talking about my house.
I have two cats and three dogs, all big moulters. I collect, on a daily basis, enough fluff to fill a football stadium. No, two stadiums. I've been through lots of vacuums who all give up the ghost eventually.
If I could monetize it, I'd be a wealthy man.
How's your place?
I have 10 cats and 3 dogs. I too have gone through too many vacuumes that I've lost count.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vacuum notes: some years ago I bought a couple of Miele C3s. Set on the lowest suction setting (it has 12 illuminated settings in easy reach of the handle), you can vacuum sheers without even disturbing the drapes underneath; at the highest setting (1200 watts), you can use it to pick up Norwegian Forest Cats or bowling balls or Smart Cars. The warranty is ten years, and Miele is confident enough in its product that it offers a twenty year warranty at a very small additional cost.

It's virtually indestructible, simple to change bags on, and has HEPA filter technology. It's also very quiet (64 db output; normal conversation being about 60 db). The motor is an old-school, fully sealed flow-through type, made by Ametek, and is the same Ametek flow-through motor used on the Space Shuttles' purge valves in the airlocks.

Will it actually suck up broken glass and china, like the vase-slapping cat in the television commercial suggests? It will. Trust me - I have a Snowshoe. It will.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Five cats have I. And the shed fur to prove it.

Long-haired cats are far and away the worst. Pictured below are four of my five, with the three long hairs. Big Boy, front left, Tar Baby, front right, Baron von Komfy rear center and Zika behind him. (Zika's a snowshoe mix, relatively short hair.)

Regular combing and brushing help a lot, but don't get rid of all of it, just the big clumps. There's hair in the screens, behind doors, and in the coils of the fridge.

Last edited: