Flovent Use

dianamcc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was just recently diagnosed with asthma and was prescribed Flovent. What is the typical dosage that most cats start out on? My vet prescribed the 44 mcg dose but before I spend all this money does that seem like a high enough dose? My vet has not had much experience with prescribing the drug and is open to suggestions on the proper treatment. Also what has been the cheapest place you have found to order Flovent from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Diana

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Diana and welcome to the forum !

I know there are members here with experience managing their kitties' asthma.

There's also a specialized online community that's been active since 2002 with 2500+ members....and, these groups tend to have the most current information on the each condition. You'll find them here: Feline Aasthma Inhaled Medications Users Group

I'd suggest you get a new, separate email account - like Yahoo - email is their operating platform, and this will help you manage the back and forth message flow.

Hope that helps.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Diana,

I get mine here:

www.drugstoreunlimited.com/

It is very expensive, but still the cheapest I have found. I get Flixotide, but I think it is the same thing. The only downside is it takes a few weeks to receive, it comes from New Zealand.

I give my boy 10 breaths out of 1 puff (not 10 puffs). It is not a miracle treatment, but does help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet is probably erring on the side of caution and starting your cat on the lowest dose. It's always best to start at a very low dose of any medicine and then slowly work your way up to a dose that will control the symptoms.

@foxxycat and other members order generic Flovent from inhousepharmacy.vu

If you prefer not to order from another country, use GoodRx.com to find the lowest price at your local pharmacies. When I had an asthmatic cat, I actually found the vet hospital's own in-house pharmacy cheaper than any local pharmacy.

You can use a free pet prescription drug card to save a bit of money on the Flovent if you buy at a pharmacy. Here's one: Free Discount Pet Prescription Drug Card Program - Pet Drug Card If you have AAA service for your car, there is a prescription drug program you can sign up for that includes medicines for pets. Contact your AAA agent for details.