Floor cleaning- cats and wet floor

mom2paisley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did a search on here for the types of cleaners people use around their cats and the general seems to be vinegar and water or simple green. But do you let your cats on the floor before it's dried? I was thinking of getting some simple green for cleaning the tile floor in the cat room (HUGE room with a bunch of cat trees) when we move back to my family home (to care for my aunt) but there really is no way to block the cats out of the room when I mop. Is it ok for them to be on the wet floor? What about the steam mops? Any brand you can recommend? At least then I would only use the simple green every so often to deep clean. I already use a kennel disinfectant to clean litter pans when I change them but the cats are not using them when they are wet. I would use that on the floor but it says to keep pets off until dry. Thought? Suggestions?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use a steam cleaner (Kärcher) on the floors, and can really recommend them for households with pets. We have stone tiles, parquet and laminate, and all I use is the steam; I haven't found it necessary to use any cleaners for deep cleaning in the past ten years.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the shelter I volunteer at, we use water + a bit of bleach both to mop the floors and clean out kennels. I was concerned about it at first, but they've been doing it that way for years, so I'll trust their judgment I guess.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put all of the cats up in the bedroom when I mop. Part of this is because I do use bleach in the kitchen and Murpy's oil soap on the wood (soap residue has to be rinsed, cats or no cats). The other reason is because I can't even sweep in this house without a cat underfoot.
The wood floor gets dried as I go, and the kitchen floor is usually half dry by the time I let them out.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a Swiffer Wet Jet. I try to avoid letting Ally and Ollie walk on the floor when it's wet, but the Wet Jet fluid is safe around pets contrary to the rumors that have made internet rounds in the past.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a steam mop, or water and vinegar for spot mopping.

I prefer not to use chemicals, even if they claim to be pet safe - unless it's a natural product I won't use it.

Steam or vinegar the cats can walk on right away.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of getting a steam mop - any recommendations?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have laminate and I just mop with floral disinfectant. I too am really interested in getting a steam mop though. x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2paisley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We decided to go with a steam mop. My early Christmas present was delivered late last week. We went with the Eureka Envrosteam. I've only had a chance to use it once but I do like it. Just need to remember to let it sit long enough to get really hot. Patience is a virtue that doesn't come easily to me

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear by steam. It cleans and sanitizes and the floor dries almost immediately. I have the Shark canister. I love it, but now they have come out with a Shark that does not need a canister. I may invest in one..just easier than dragging a canister around.

But IMO steam is the way to go.