Flee problem, any suggestions?

captainmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has flees and I've already tried giving him a bath with flee shampoo and i even tried to pick some out individually but he still has them on his body and face

Please let me know what else i can do to help get these flees off of him.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs Advantage, Frontline or Revolution. You can pick it up at your vet, probably with out taking your cat in. Call them Monday and ask. Flea shampoo is not a good choice. It is fairly toxic and quite a few cats have bad reactions to it and the cheap flea drops and collars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captainmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh ok thank you. I need to save up money first because i just spent about 200 on my ferret not too long ago.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't allow the fleas to stay any longer. They can cause anemia and tapeworms. If you can't afford some vet-quality flea product like Frontline, Advantage, Revolution or Comfortis (your vet may allow you to buy a single dose for about $10-$15), get a flea comb and comb him every single day. Get a cup of hot soapy water or rubbing alcohol to knock the fleas into (don't dip the comb in alcohol and then comb the cat because she shouldn't lick alcohol).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

captainmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will buy a flee comb tomorrow.

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Already posted about this - I got rid of fleas using a flea comb after pesticides let me down but it took a long time...and if you have so many on your cat you have them in your house too..You need a decent flea comb - a longer tooth one.Comb every day for as long as you can - if your cat won't let you do a certain area don't worry too much - if you comb them every day the odds are you will get them all...Vacuum everywhere and then concentrate on areas where your cat hangs around/jumps up /gets combed - try to do these areas daily - A daily run over with a vacuum will get a lot of the adults before they hatch as well as the eggs, flea dirt (larva's food source) and larvae...don't worry too much about cracks and crevices - it is better to do a quick once over daily rather than an in depth one every week...Good Luck!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can give temporary relief by drowning them, but they are all over your house and will find kitty again fast, I suggest buying Advantage 11 on ebay, or 1800petmeds.

Buy extra large dog size, a 4 pk is $40.00 or under, each tube is 4.0 mls, which means one tube will treat a large cat 5 times, a small cat 10 times, and you will have 4 tubes, so you only need to buy it once, also you must ask your vet for a 1.0ml syringe, so you can give the appropriate dose, 0.4ml for small, up to 0.8mls for large.

Treat every 10 days for a couple months, be sure it is Avantage 11, not 100 or any other. The 11 after the name means it is their newest product and has the ability to not only kill adults but eggs and larvae too!

Dog and cat is identical ingredients, but Bayer frowns on this because 1, they do not want people to give the incorrect dose, and 2, because they will lose lots of money from sales if this got too common!

Fleas can't swim, but takes about a full 15 minutes to drown, so putting a ring of soap around the cat's neck FIRST, then submerging body in water for a full 15 mins will leave lots of fleas floating or going down the drain. Takes most of them at least 10 minutes just to let go of their bite on cat.

The soap ring is to avoid the fleas climbing up into the cats ears/nose/eyes.

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. It sucks up lots of the adults hanging around.

If you use a flea comb, do it outside if possible, or you will lose alot of fleas combed out into your house and right back onto the cat.

lucky83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry just read that back and so badly written!Vacuuming will encourage the adults to emerge from the pupae and get 90+% of the already emerged ones...if you have time etc to do a through vacuum every day do - but otherwise do a quick run round daily...rather than putting it off till you can do it 'properly' And I mean make the flea combing session last as long as you can - fleas will try and jump out the way of the comb...but it seemed to me they got tired -so when I thought I'd got them all in one session and was about to stop I'd suddenly find a couple more. And if you comb one side of the cats body, do the other and then go back to the first side I found fleas that had moved there...