Fleas

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! 

Both my kitten had fleas and so I put flea medicine on both of them (Feline Frontline for the one under 9lbs and advantage for the one above 9lbs). 

I notice they're both still scratching themselves but when I went to inspect them, I couldn't find any live ones (that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have any) and I'm pretty sure I still saw flea eggs but I also saw what looked like flea legs? 

How do I know that they're both completely flea free? 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago did you give them the treatment? It can take several days for the treatments to work and if you had a larger flea problem it might take more than just the treatment. You may need to give the cats a bath (Dawn works well especially with kittens, older cats can have a flea bath just make sure to check online for adverse reactions as some products have really strong chemicals). Also you will want to clean, vacuum and wash anywhere the cats normal lay to make sure there aren't any fleas living around your home and re-infesting the cats. If all of that is done you can apply a second treatment in 3 weeks but personally I just wait the 4 weeks to make sure there aren't any adverse reactions to the treatment. In my experience the advantage works better in all ages so you might want to use that on both the cats (they have a small cat dose). 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smilexcindy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did all the vacuuming and cleaning. I gave them the treatment about 3 days ago and they seem to be scratching less and I don't see any live ones. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you combing them?  I'm just now starting to see mine with no fleas and it's been a couple weeks since the treatments. I comb them every day, several times.