FLEAS!!!

bonkkk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took Mooch to the vet because of scratching and the vet gave Mooch a shot. The vet didn't  mention that Mooch needed any further shots. Vet said Mooch had an "allergy."
    I went to the vet again 2 weeks later for "followup" (only because Mooch was still scratching) and vet said Mooch has fleas. Because she said Mooch had "allergy" the first time and then the second time she said he has fleas, I thought she misdiagnosed him the first time, and I asked for refund for shot. But she said fleas is what the "allergy" is. So having fleas is an allergy?
     The vet said Mooch would need further shots (though she didn't mention this the first time). So does Mooch need the further shots, or will flea shampoo be an effective and less expensive alternative?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are super allergic to flea bites. Even one bite can send them into a hyper-sensitive state. First you need to get rid of the fleas. Flea shampoos are largely ineffective and are toxic. So are most store-bought spot-ons. What you want is a vet-quality spot-on such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution (I'm surprised your vet didn't sell you any!). For your house, wash bedding (anywhere the cat sleeps) in hot water and vacuum a lot. If there are still fleas you might have to call an exterminator. But using a good spot-on and vacuuming extra has always worked for me.

If your kitty is still itching after the fleas are gone, he mght need another steroid shot. But try to minimize that because steroids can have nasty side effects.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  How old is Mooch? Is there obvious skin irritation from the fleas? Have you treated him for fleas? You have to get rid of the fleas first, allergy to flea bites doesn't mean allergy to flea treatment. Fleas are easily killed, kittens or cats that are manageable can be bathed with dove dish detergent, or another non toxic soap to kill the fleas.

Just because he is scratching doesn't mean he has fleas. I think you would know, they love to jump onto any other warm blooded creatures and bite, so you more then likely would have been bitten yourself by now. If your kitty has had fleas for any period of time chances are they are in your home. One way to test this is to walk around with white socks.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people don't really react to fleas, and a cat with a flea allergy only needs one bit to set it off.  I feel the vet should have suggested flea allergy at the first visit, but you need to deal with them.

This is a UK link, not all the products are available in the US or they possibly have different names, but it goes through all the ins & outs of flea control.  It also has advice for it fleas are not the problem.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/