Fleas

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I treated the kittens about two weeks ago with Revolution per the vets instructions for the fleas they had. That got rid of them, temporarily. I was under the assumption that such treatments lasted for a month. I found fleas on Lennon again yesterday..so what do I do now? Ringo and Quinn (my dog) are going to the vet Thursday, so I am going to ask there... but is it normal for it to not work the whole time?

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lace, most likely the stuff is still working. The fleas you are seeing are dying if they are on the animal. I'm not familiar with revolution. We do our dog occasionally with Advantix drops on the shoulder blades. (The cats stay indoors) I have seen fleas a few days after the application. Mostly in the evening hours. The stuff can't prevent a "different" flea from climbing aboard, but it will be dead soon. If the fleas are in the house, treat all the animals. They become walking exterminators. The process will take a few months if eggs were laid anywhere, but it's still better than bombs or other methods.
Good luck.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the dogs are not being treated, then there will still be fleas. ALL animals in the houshold need to be treated.

to 9357m:
We do our dog occasionally with Advantix drops on the shoulder blades.
You should not be using Advantix on your dogs with cats in the household. Advantix is highly toxic to cats. Should one of your cats brush up to the dog after a treatment, or lick a dog at any time, they could become very sick, and death can result.

I recommend you use something else from now on, before tragedy strikes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

If the dogs are not being treated, then there will still be fleas. ALL animals in the houshold need to be treated.

to 9357m:

You should not be using Advantix on your dogs with cats in the household. Advantix is highly toxic to cats. Should one of your cats brush up to the dog after a treatment, or lick a dog at any time, they could become very sick, and death can result.

I recommend you use something else from now on, before tragedy strikes.
I had to one and go check what my dog uses after hearing that. She uses advantage, is that safe with the kitties around?

The vet wants me to treat their room for fleas...which will be hard. I have a tarantula, and he has to be out of the house for months if I do that, anything flea treatment will kill him as well- even if he is in another part of the house. Guess I will have to find a spider sitter!

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto: I saw the label and basically kept the dog outside with me most of the day. Her fur "lays" and I have to put the stuff on in several small dots or it will leave a wet spot on her back. I did it this way for years because I don't want it on peoples hands either. I assumed unless they lick her skin they would be safe. She wouldn't tolerate that anyway. I do know what you mean and appreciate the mention - I will ask the vet for an alternative. Taking these cats from lousy surroundings, spoiling the tar out of them, then poisoning them would break my heart.
Lace, trying to treat a room is marginal, at least from my research. Mine had fleas when I brought them home even after 2 baths in Dawn detergent. As soon as they could deal with meds I blasted them and the dog. Problem gone. Tarantula sitting? I've had them walk over my foot while camping in Texas - scared the poop outa me. Can't help you there!

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Capstar and Program on the Doberman, I have also used Frontline with success. My hubby treats the yard as well. This year the doberkid is not well and on meds, so of course fleas came calling. We were late treating outside (dangit!!!) The issue we have is the cats are Sphynx, they cannot be treated for fleas the same way other cats can. So I vaccume, took the carpeted cat trees outside, scrubbed them with flea shampoo (that was a tough job) and they are on our porch air drying.

Fleas suck

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to mention that you might need to treat for fleas if you've had them in your house. It's really safe and easy to use either food grade Diatomaceous Earth or Borax, which is found on the laundry detergent aisle. (I use Borax.) Just sprinkle it on your carpets, floors, around base boards, under furniture, and under appliances. Brush it into the carpet with a broom and leave it overnight or as long as possible if unable to do it overnight. Vacuum it up in the morning and you're done! You might need to do it again, but it will work and it's safe for your animals.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I was going to mention that you might need to treat for fleas if you've had them in your house. It's really safe and easy to use either food grade Diatomaceous Earth or Borax, which is found on the laundry detergent aisle. (I use Borax.) Just sprinkle it on your carpets, floors, around base boards, under furniture, and under appliances. Brush it into the carpet with a broom and leave it overnight or as long as possible if unable to do it overnight. Vacuum it up in the morning and you're done! You might need to do it again, but it will work and it's safe for your animals.
When using Borax, is it safe for animals even if you leave it overnight?? Should the animals stay out of the room while it is on the carpet or when you say safe for animals it means it is safe to be brushed into the carpet and left overnight while kitties are around? ( I feel like I am asking a dumb question, but I am curious bc I always worry about making sure that anything we use is safe for kitties)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. Yes, if at all possible, make the room inaccessible to them overnight. I'm not sure if it's toxic or not, but better safe than sorry.