FLEAS! What would you recommend?

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't trust any of the commercial environmental sprays/foggers - even after the time they're supposedly safe.  They contain very toxic ingredients.  And, Commercial sprays/foggers don't generally kill the eggs at all.  The "safe", "natural" sprays I was able to locate - all contained essential oils - which are toxic for cats (Especially Cedar Oil and Tea Tree Oil).  So, I wouldn't suggest those, either.

A BETTER WAY?:  A friend - with MANY, MANY cats, had a major flea infestation in her apt.  She had used Revolution on MOST of her cats (She did not do the elderly cats).  But, her apartment needed more help!  A rescuer friend suggested to me that she use Ivory DISH soap - and spray it all over Floors, Rugs, Furniture, Door & Window Sills, and other "Suspicious Areas" (for eggs).  So, she finally put some ivory soap in a large spray bottle - and added a small amount of apple cider vinegar – about 1/4-1/6 of total (which I had read about). Both are supposed to kill fleas AND their eggs on contact.  It worked wonderfully to clean up her apartment.

Any place you see flea droppings - usually also contains eggs, as the hatched larvae feed on the blood in the droppings. The eggs are very light in color, so areas of light-color debris - are also very suspicious. And, hidden places - such as spaces between Wood on Floors/Furniture, under Door Sills/Windows, Slots in Air-Conditioners, etc. - also are prime for fleas to lay eggs. Spray your vacuum cleaner, too, after use - in areas where debris/eggs could have fallen. (To save money on Vacuum bags: - When you're done vacuuming – Switch to the Hand-Held Hose – You can put Shipping Tape SECURELY on the outer Hose opening – to keep fleas/larvae from escaping – so – you don' have to throw the bag out immediately. When you use the Vacuum Cleaner again – First check the tape when you remove it - and Ball it up securely – and place in a plastic garbage bag and seal it.)

My friend even used this spray solution on pillows & bedding, when she couldn't wash them regularly. (Saturate the surfaces - and under Mattress edges.  Do it well before bedtime, so it can dry before bedtime).

She had also used other dish soap before she could locate Ivory dish soap - That worked too.  ANY Liquid Dish Soap will kill Fleas/Eggs. I think, though, that the Ivory may be better because it may have some residual effect that the others don't - as it's got a "creamy" texture.  None of her Wood Flooring or Furniture or Upholstery/Fabrics was damaged at all. Test it on a small area of item first, if you're concerned.  I wouldn't suggest using laundry detergent - as it can damage furnishings - and - irritate cats.

I think it's best to get a new sprayer bottle(s).  Try to buy a 24-32oz "Sturdy" sprayer - rather than left-overs from other liquids (they leak, generally don't have a good "spray area", and, they run out quickly).  Used ones may have chemical residue on the plastic inside.  And, you want to make sure you have a well-functioning Sprayer! A good resource to check for Good Sprayer Bottles and Ivory Dish Soap is Walmart -or their site.  For most effectiveness - You should repeat this treatment often (every day or 2), as the liquid needs to make contact with any new fleas/eggs.

PS:  She also flea-combed the more heavily infested cats - and the elderly (untreated) cats - with the comb dipped in Water with Ivory soap and a little apple cider vinegar.  (Shake the comb a bit so you don't totally saturate the cat). And, she dipped the comb into this solution QUICKLY - every time a flea was caught - to kill the fleas before they could hop off!.

PS:  It also helps to put plain table salt under couch cushions, etc.  The salt will deter/kill fleas - because it dehydrates them. (Don't know if this works well in Humid environments.)  But - DON'T put salt in areas where your cats will come into contact with it substantially - as - they will lick themselves - and can ingest more salt than is safe for them.

Good Luck with your situation,  Jackie Page

Last edited:

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TO:  cjohnson647

The Ivory Dish Soap + Apple Cider Vinegar did work on my friend's carpetting.  You need to saturate it a bit.  Maybe even brush it in  to make it penetrate.

And, maybe spray it under the carpetting, too.  (Just be careful not to step on it while its wet - we don't want to slip and fall!  True for floor-spraying too!)

Jackie Page

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TO:  kagami

I'm not familiar with using coconut oil for fleas.  Could you tell me how you use it?

Jackie Page

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep pieces of material over any upholstery and launder them frequently.

also,vacuum often even hard surface floors,they can hide around baseboards and even

the mattress if they get on your bed.finding something to use on the cat is one thing,

but getting rid of them in the house is important or they never go away.

fdxr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done a lot of cat rescue and found that giving a cat capstar when I first pick them up does wonders.  If they don't have fleas, it doesn't hurt them.  If they do have fleas, they are usually dead in the carrier by the time I get home.

When I've brought a cat in that has already been fostered by someone else, I didn't think to capstar.  I got burned a few months ago and found this cat itching mid-play at specific spots.  To me this was a reaction to a flew bite when they stop mid-stride to scratch.    I immediately used a flea comb and found a lively flea which I immediately killed by smashing with my finger nail.  Then I flushed him in the toilet.  I wish I would have seen these posts to know to dip the flea comb in dish soap and apple cider vinegar before hand.  Good tip!

I've also given kittens/cats baths in Joy dish soap.  You can watch the fleas go down the drain (yeah!).  I believe the disp soap breaks down their skin or something and kills them ?  Something like that.

I also got turned on to "food grade DE".  NOT the DE for swimming pools as that has been treated and altered and is very bad for humans and animals.  I guy the food grade DE at my feed store.  The DE (Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade) acts like shards of glass and actually cuts their exoskeleton (their hard outer shell) and sucks the water out their bodies. Since their body needs this to survive, they die after a short amount of time. Works on any extroskeletin bug. From "the bug squad" online: "The diatomaceous earth is formed from algae with siliceous shells. When extracted, they are already dead, but their shells remain. These are razor sharp and while they are too small to even have a small effect on humans, they are deadly to pests. In fact, food grade diatomaceous earth can even be used to kill other pests like bed bugs, chiggers and gnats so feel free to try it elsewhere if you are having a problem with those in your home."   Moisture will significantly reduce its effectiveness so only use dry.  I use gloves when administering or make sure I wash my hands immediately after.  I also learned that farmers and other pet owners use it in the pets/animals food.  I believe its tasteless and I believe it was 1/2 tsp a day.  My friend has been putting food grade DE in her dogs food daily for years without any issues.  In fact unless something has changed recently, Muenster Natural dog and cat food had food grade DE in it.  People rave about it.

Dr. Howard Garrett "the Dirt Doctor" in Dallas/Ft. Worth endorses them.

I also have sprinkled DE on my carpet (I have always had homes with a lot of carpet) and then vacuume it up, disposing of the vacuum bag or contents.  I even put a touch of DE in my vacuume cannister or bag to kill any fleas or eggs I may vacuum up for a few weeks after I initially treat as the eggs take 21 days to hatch I believe.  Also from "the bug squad" on-line "Diatomaceous earth is extremely effective for killing fleas that are hiding in carpets, either in your home or even outside where your pets might enjoy taking a rest. If you don’t have any carpets, it can also be used on hardwood floors as a very effective way to kill off any flea infestations that may have found its way into your life.:"

I was taught not to inhale the DE.  It can get dusty when you vacuum if you use a lot.  Yet "the bug squad" I see says that is not true about it hurting your lungs.  I still think shards of glass not a good idea to inhale.

I also keep from the animals from breathing it in.  I wait for it to settle before I let them into the treated area.  

I also sprinkle the food grade DE on their bedding.  But I've learned to do it sparingly as my cats get wise and don't like it much...so I just do a little bit and rub it in.  Also this works well on cat trees as it can be difficult to vacuum every inch of a cat tree.   Its been my understanding that the fleas will stay on the animal most of the time.  They are no dummies !  It is the eggs that are dropping in the carpet and everywhere when the animal scratches.  So I sprinkle the DE on their bedding and anywhere they hang out to catch the eggs once they hatch.  I've been bitten a number of times while I've slept in the same bed with an infected cat.  Those darn fleas just take advantage of anyone !  This was how I found out a cat or two had fleas I didn't know about.  Once it took 1 week for my flea bites to itch!  Dr. said the delayed reaction can happen.

I felt so weird in the grocery line one night scratching myself as if I was getting bitten right then and there !!

Also I use a white sheet on the top of my bedding and anywhere the animals sleep.  Don't know if its a wives tale or not, but I've heard they are attracted to white.  For me I ended up seeing the tiny black dots left behind (flea droppings) to alert me immediately I had live fleas.

Long ago I learned how toxic the flea collars are.  Interesting tip to cut it up and put in the vacuum bag!  I like that.

I've also had cats who were allergic to the flea spray I bought at stores years ago.  They would foam at the mouth.  That is when I started looking for holistic solutions...Joy dish soap and DE.

I'm a big fan of Revolution as it works for hearworm as well.  I've heard horror stories about Advantage, yet I don't have experience with Advantage II.  My girlfriend and I would order Revolution from Canadian Vet on-line to save money.  We consulted with our individual vets and found out we could order the

dog Revolution, pour it into a glass bottle and divy out the dosed down amount needed for our cats.  Tedious work, but we saved money when we needed to.

While I was looking to build a home a while back it was suggested to me to spread Borax around the house where the walls would be to kill any future bugs that would come into the house.  Of course this would be while the workers were not there and before they put up the drywall.

I've also spread DE around the perimeter of my house, making sure it hasn't recently rained and wasn't going to rain for a while as it works best dry.  I've stopped doing that when I found I had toads living around myh house.  Gotta take care of my toads !  I keep my yard organic so usually every critter I have balances each other out.

Lastly I've heard of people who have moved into a house or appartment only to find fleas!  I don't recall how long they can live without a host, but I'm thinking it was something like 6 months to 2 years ???!

I'm not a big fan of flea bombs, yet I've resorted them years ago.  I have had an organic (as organic as they get) bug guy come in and treat my cat room when it was too infested for me to treat or when I needed it fixed fast.  I think he use pyrethrum or some other older chemical.  Although pyrethrum comes from a flower, I was told it wasn't toxic or harmful to the animals AFTER it dried.  I've never had a cat get sick

after he treated and he (and I) resolved the flea problem quickly.