Fleas poop or black heads?

sparkle304

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently noticed a lot of black specks of dirt (?) or flea poop (?) under my cat's chin. How do I determine what it is? I've searched his body for other signs of fleas but haven't found any. He's not scratching or showing any signs of discomfort. Unfortunately, taking him to the vet is a last option as he becomes a very nasty kitty at the vet's office so physical examinations are almost impossible. Any advice? I'm willing to give him treatment for fleas but am concerned about putting chemicals onto his skin. Is Revolution a good medication?  Thanks for any feedback!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet a Q-tip and rub it on the spots. Flea poop will turn a reddish brown. It's very common to have fleas under the chin.

I'm not well versed in flea medication, but I do know you need to choose carefully. A lot of reports of very bad or even deadly consequences from choosing low quality medication.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right, if you wet the spots they would go away if flea poop, which is dried blood actually.

If not, then it may be chin acne.

For my rescue group I use Advantage 11.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The q-tip test recommended is a good way to tell if it's fleas or acne. Cats do get acne, especially on their chins from their food dishes. Make sure to clean his food dishes regularly, and if you are using plastic dishes switch to ceramic, glass, or metal dishes.

I use comfortis to treat my cats for fleas, and I would recommend it if you can afford the cost as it is rather pricey but effective. You might also try capstar, which kills on fleas on him currently but only for 24 hours, so you would need to be certain to de-flea the area at the same time.

Best luck!