Fleas on newborn kittens

pixiecat1979

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat delivered 2 days ago. I didn't know that she had fleas! I had checked her for fleas several times, but I guess I must've been missing them because she is solid black. Now the kittens have fleas already. Is there anything I can put on them or do for them? I know they're too young for the flea solution like Revolution. Maybe a home remedy or something?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would of course, recommend that, you ask a licensed veterinarian that you trust, regarding, the flea issue, that you are having on such young kittens. Before trying anything and seeing what he/she can advise you as well. Having done fostering and re-homing of kittens over the years, I would recommend that you bathe the kittens in Dawn dish soap. Please note the following: A) it only kills the adult flea's, not the eggs and larval stages, B) I have done it to many different kittens from 7 days old to 7 weeks old. I believe, around eight weeks, you can use over the counter flea preventative/killer, C) I have NEVER used Dawn dish soap on two day old kittens. So, PLEASE at least, ask a veterinarian BEFORE you use the product.

Lastly, this is the only Dawn dish washing liquid, that, I have ever used :http://www.dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/product/037000222057. I have only used the "blue" one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixiecat1979

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Cat Person! It's not a bad infestation. I just don't want it to get to that point. I'm going to go to the vet and get something to treat Mom tomorrow.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Cat Person!

You are very welcome
. I am glad, to try and help you and your cats

It's not a bad infestation.

That, is, very very good news, for, such young kittens.

I just don't want it to get to that point.

I do not blame you, one little bit
!

I'm going to go to the vet and get something to treat Mom tomorrow.

I know that, I am very late with my reply
. But, how are your kittens and mother cat doing? What did the veterinarian do for the mother cat? What did she do/suggest for the kittens?

latriciastar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
about three years ago a friend brought her dog over, and it brought fleas. my cats are indoor only so we were shocked to find fleas in the house. they spread quickly with 5 cats there. we attempted to treat with over the counter items. we had a VERY bad experience with Hartz over the counter drops. they are not veterinarian approved or certified. they are essentially a pesticide is what my vet said. So first things first, i recommend avoiding that!!!

but our cat injested some of the drops off of one of the other cats and bled severely internally. thankfully he is still with us but it took two blood transfusions and 11 days in the hospital to the tune of $3200.

we have now switched to pre treating with Dawn dish soap baths and Chrysanthemum oil on the fur and a good brushing with flea combs to prevent or catch any that may come in! has worked great for about three years doing that. no fleas since (knock on wood!)

i know a brand named Vectra that i hear works very well and is a little more tame on cats. my friend who fosters uses that religiously. not sure on kittens but they may have a small dose at your vet. :)