FLEAS IN THE HOUSE!! Please help me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, good ol' forum management...
's okay, nobody's feelings were hurt. Well, mine weren't anyway.

Okay, so here's what I did. I got some boric acid powder, which cost $2, and vacuumed my floors thorougly. After that, I sprinkled the powder all over my floors, and used a broom to "sweep" it into the carpet.

Since then, I haven't seen any fleas. I've had two flea bites, total, in three days... so they're still out there... but I used to get ten flea bites in a single day, so it's getting better.

I think the best solution will be to simply wait for the landlord. If the landlord is willing to buy me some flea treatment or other, then the problem will be solved (I hope).

My hamster is residing on top of the fridge now. I don't want such a small creature to breathe boric acid, or to get bitten by fleas.

I'm eating a lot of onions... does that count?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dunno if onions will do it, but I think I read that fleas don't like cedar... so.. if your hamster is in a cedar bedding.. they might never even think about going to visit him. On top of the fridge should keep him safe. Actually, on top of the counter would probably do it.. as I don't think fleas can jump that high.. one would have to jump on you, and then jump up there, and then get in the cage... I think you're pretty safe.

G

ghostuser

Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Dunno if onions will do it, but I think I read that fleas don't like cedar... so.. if your hamster is in a cedar bedding.. they might never even think about going to visit him. On top of the fridge should keep him safe. Actually, on top of the counter would probably do it.. as I don't think fleas can jump that high.. one would have to jump on you, and then jump up there, and then get in the cage... I think you're pretty safe.
Just FYI, cedar should NOT be used in small animal cages, the aromatic oils are very bad for them.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use cedar, but that is what they normally sell for smaller animals, if I remember correctly. I actually don't have any small animals unless you count the Tonk, who is doubling in size every week... he used to be teacup sized... now he's teapot sized, with the big belly from eatin so much...

But I'm sure Callista will be glad to know of that information. Thanks for giving a heads up.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Just FYI, cedar should NOT be used in small animal cages, the aromatic oils are very bad for them.
Yep, I'm aware of that--I use recycled-paper bedding for him. A hamster breathing cedar smell for a lifetime, with his sensitive nose and tiny lungs!... no wonder the poor thing would end up with respiratory problems.

Okay, so the fleas are back. The boric acid worked temporarily, but I think it only kills adult fleas. I got a couple of bites and yesterday I found the second of two fleas since the boric acid treatment.

In any event, I'm trying something stronger now.

I can do that because my mom sent me some "natural vitamin pills", and I don't need vitamin pills because I have about three bottles already. So I went to Wal-Mart and exchanged them! (Yes, I know it's a bit ungrateful; but Mom wants to be of use to me, and if I need flea control but not vitamins...! Well, if this works, I'll be VERY grateful to Mom, however impolite it might've been to return her vitamins.)

I'm using these "fogger" things (I think they're also known as 'flea bombs'). My hamster Newton has been barracked on the back porch for the time being, so he's safe from the fumes. I'm at the library, hoping that when I return the air will at the least be breathable enough so I don't have to hold my breath while I open the windows. I got enough of a mouthful of that stuff when I started the foggers going, and it's noxious!

Wonder how long before I'll feel comfortable sitting on the floor again? Yeah... I think I'm gonna spend time on the porch with Newton for a while.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to do this again in about a week...see what the instructions suggest. It takes about an hour or two to clear out of your house. Once you go back and open the windows, then I'd sit out on the porch for a bit while it clears out some. It's tolerable, but not pleasant.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that it's been a few days since I did the flea bombs, and so far, I haven't had a single flea bite! Hopefully, they won't come back. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.