Fleas in a tiny kitten

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 8 weeks old male kitten, he’s really tiny so I don’t even think he’s the full 8 weeks although the lady said he was. Anyway, Upon bringing him home realised he was scratching way too much so checked his fur and there were loads of fleas. Bathed him, and combed him with a flea comb, about 30 fleas were removed. He seems a lot happier but still feel like there are more, any tips on what to do ? I don’t want to use any flea drops as he’s way too small and the packaging says over 12 weeks on most drops x

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's safe to use blue Dawn dish soap on a kitten that young, but you're right, you shouldn't use flea medicine until he's at least 2 pounds. Do you have a scale? For now, you'll just have to comb him regularly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Flea combing and more baths. Many years past, I used Johnson & Johnson Bany Shampoo, unseated. Other TCS members have used Dawn Dish soap!

Good luck!
I’ve heard of that dawn dish soap, where can I buy it? Poor kitten must have been in so much pain he seems a lot happier now but I’d like to make sure they’ve all gone x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually, you can use Advantage II for kittens starting at 5 weeks. It is administered to the scruff of the neck. Apply one tube each month, and be sure to wash any bedding in hot water to kill eggs and larvae. :)

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, you can use Advantage II for kittens starting at 5 weeks. It is administered to the scruff of the neck. Apply one tube each month, and be sure to wash any bedding in hot water to kill eggs and larvae. :)
Thanks I didn’t know that, I’ll get some! Was scared to use any drops as most of them were saying 12+ weeks, did manage to find one that said it was ok at 8+ weeks, he’s suppose to be 8 weeks but I honestly think he’s younger which is why I was put off using it x my mums female cat had a litter of kittens in the past so I know that this kitten can’t be anymore than 6 weeks judging by his size

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advantage (imidacloprid) and Frontline Plus (fipronil, S-methoprene) are labeled safe for 8 weeks age. Many flea populations in countries where these 2 drugs have been used for 20 years are seeing less flea susceptibility. If your area doesn't use these much, each year, you may find your kitten's fleas are killed effectively. Shelter vet staff will dose by weight in unhealthy kittens 8 wks age to limit side effects. Revolution (salamectin, Rx only) and Catego (dinotefuran, fipronil, and pyriproxyfen) are safe for 8 week old kittens 1.5lbs and over. All of these kill adults and immature life stages except for the impenetrable pupa. Catego kills adults the fastest, in 6 hours. All are water resistant to a point, if the pet is not excessively bathed during the 4 weeks of efficacy. Capstar (oral) is safe and effective for as young as 4 weeks, at least 2lb, kills fleas for 24 hours, no effect on eggs or larva.

Under the advice of a vet, the aforementioned topicals are used in shelter medicine at weight appropriate doses for kittens under 1kg or 2lbs, measured by syringe, applied topically, combing off dead fleas multiple times daily. Your vet can help you accurately weigh and dose this little one. Flea feces and remaining dead fleas are bathed off 2 days later, once the topical has had sufficient time to fully absorb into kittens' sebaceous gland layer of skin. Tapeworms should be killed with dewormer labeled for tapes (i.e. praziquantel), as fleas carry them, and they infect cats when swallowed during grooming. Vets provide broad spectrum dewormers for these as well as roundworms and hookworms, which kittens often have from environment or mother cat.

If kitten still has blue eyes, likely under 8 weeks age. Size helps age them, too, but not reliable if malnourished and underweight. Kitten lady's site has a chart showing age markers if you'd like to compare your kitten to her images and description. How to Determine a Kitten's Age — Kitten Lady

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this on their drug information and safety sheet? US and UK info sheets still say 8 weeks. AU says no age or weight limit.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advantage (imidacloprid) and Frontline Plus (fipronil, S-methoprene) are labeled safe for 8 weeks age. Many flea populations in countries where these 2 drugs have been used for 20 years are seeing less flea susceptibility. If your area doesn't use these much, each year, you may find your kitten's fleas are killed effectively. Shelter vet staff will dose by weight in unhealthy kittens 8 wks age to limit side effects. Revolution (salamectin, Rx only) and Catego (dinotefuran, fipronil, and pyriproxyfen) are safe for 8 week old kittens 1.5lbs and over. All of these kill adults and immature life stages except for the impenetrable pupa. Catego kills adults the fastest, in 6 hours. All are water resistant to a point, if the pet is not excessively bathed during the 4 weeks of efficacy. Capstar (oral) is safe and effective for as young as 4 weeks, at least 2lb, kills fleas for 24 hours, no effect on eggs or larva.

Under the advice of a vet, the aforementioned topicals are used in shelter medicine at weight appropriate doses for kittens under 1kg or 2lbs, measured by syringe, applied topically, combing off dead fleas multiple times daily. Your vet can help you accurately weigh and dose this little one. Flea feces and remaining dead fleas are bathed off 2 days later, once the topical has had sufficient time to fully absorb into kittens' sebaceous gland layer of skin. Tapeworms should be killed with dewormer labeled for tapes (i.e. praziquantel), as fleas carry them, and they infect cats when swallowed during grooming. Vets provide broad spectrum dewormers for these as well as roundworms and hookworms, which kittens often have from environment or mother cat.

If kitten still has blue eyes, likely under 8 weeks age. Size helps age them, too, but not reliable if malnourished and underweight. Kitten lady's site has a chart showing age markers if you'd like to compare your kitten to her images and description. How to Determine a Kitten's Age — Kitten Lady

This is Him I think he’s 6 weeks he doesn’t look 8 weeks to me

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use 2 drops on his neck rather than a whole tube. That should kill the fleas. It is for kittens 2-5 pounds.

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K Katie13501999 Cutie pie babycat! His eye color has changed, unsure of size unless you can weigh him accurately. Are you in the US? What medication do you have already or used previously for past cats in your care? UK has some similar or same under different names than here in US.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
This is truly a wonderful product because eventually the fleas in his environment will also be eliminated. When I lived in Portland, we had a flea problem. We had 3 cats and a dog so it was a challenge until advantage came out. After a few months not only were the fleas gone on our pets, they were gone in the house also. I’d highly recommend it 😉

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K Katie13501999 Cutie pie babycat! His eye color has changed, unsure of size unless you can weigh him accurately. Are you in the US? What medication do you have already or used previously for past cats in your care? UK has some similar or same under different names than here in US.
I live in the UK unsure of what brand is the best to use on him as I want something effective but not too strong for this baby

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ceva who makes the Catego mentioned, also makes Vectra Felis in the UK. This is still a very effective version, with 2 of the 3 ingredients, labeled for 8 weeks age, and a very low volume of topical to apply in each tube. Advantage is also low volume, the green label tube there (orange here), for up to 4kg, from Bayer UK.

Stronghold is the UK Zoetis product equivalent to Revolution's selamectin; both are prescription. It's great, because in addition to fleas, it controls intestinal parasitic roundworms, ear mites, and heartworms. Only 0.25mL in the pink kitten/puppy pack dose. It dries quickly also, thanks to the carrier alcohol base.

Vectra Felis kills the majority of fleas the fastest, though, in 6hrs (like the Catego does). Advantage in 12hrs. Revolution in 24-36hrs. All start working quickly, some just take longer to kill all the fleas on host. With changed eyes, he very well may be the 8 wks you were told by the previous owner. Capstar tablet is an option if you're concerned he's younger; some vet offices will dispense a single tablet rather than a 6 pack. Is your boy eliminating and eating well?

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
7 weeks and 0.6kg are the minimums for kittens on the Vectra Felis label per the EMA (European Medicines Agency). It is also Rx only (Advantage and Capstar are over-the-counter). 8 weeks with no weight limit are the minimums for kittens on the Advantage label per the VMD (Veterinary Medical Directorate of UK). 8wks and 1kg for Frontline Combo Spot On and Frontline Plus Spot On for Cats per VMD. Again, vet offices there may be willing to start with single tube dispensing, vs packs of 3, 6, or 12. He'll likely stay under 4kg for 3 months, so a 3 pk of Advantage Green up to 4kg. But, Stronghold 15mg pink label is for up to 2.5kg, minimum 6wk age per EMA, so he may outgrow the dose within 3 months, so a 3pk may be more than you can use; it's Rx only, so you'd need to ask your vet. I don't know if this is a good site to purchase from, but they have the flea control I mentioned with known efficacy and safety Flea Products & Flea Treatments from £1.27.

Attachments