Fleas Help!!

caliprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More poor little boy has fleas. I gave him a flea bath along with the other four cats with Seargant's Flea Shampoo, it seemed to kill them, but then a couple weeks later they came back. The other cats seem to be doing fine. I don't know if it's because of his long fur or what. Anybody have any good flea medications or other ideas? I really don't have much money to pay for advantage or something like that, so if you know of any cheaper ones please let me know! Or maybe I could just give him a flea bath every couple of weeks? I just feel sorry for my poor guy, I'm constantly picking them off his face, and combing him with his flea comb.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a couple of extra bath every second week - or perhaps somewhat shorter - so you get they young fleas BEFORE they lay eggs - sounds like a good idea. But hurry, before the fleas find other places to live on...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caliprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright thank you...I guess it's time for another bath tonight. Any advice on how to get them away from his face??? That's where they seem to live the most.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I would STOP the baths. Bathing can dry out the coat and flea shampoos from the pet store are DANGEROUS to the pet!!

Bath the cat in Dawn Dish Soap and use a flea comb to remove all fleas you can. Then get Advantage or Frontline or Revolution FROM THE VET. NEVER use over the counter products, they can kill the pet!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to reiterate--The flea bath you are using has killed cats. When used as directed. It can also cause health problems. It gave me an irregular heartbeat. Every couple of weeks is more often than it even says to use it on the bottle.

DO NOT USE over-the-counter flea meds on your cats. They are very very very dangerous. Advantage/revolution/frontline only costs like 30$. Small price to pay for the health of your cat.

You must bathe your cat NOW in the gentlest, mildest stuff in the house to get the poisons off of him. The effects of this are cumulative, so every time you use it it gets worse and the longer it stays on the skin it gets worse.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I sure hope Caliprincess gets this before she bathes her cat AGAIN!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After you wet the cat, you apply the soap and suds it up around his neck so when the fleas run up to his eyes they won't make it, the soap will kill them. then wash the rest of him. You have to treat your house as well. You should spray around the perimeter of the floors, along the base board, and you should vacuum there and everywhere every ten days. IF you do this for a month, you should be rid of them. I would buy the products you use at the vets office, and only use the spray once. No need to keep on spraying because a good vet spray will last and any new hatched eggs will die and some sprays kill the eggs. of course you should remove the cats, have the windows open etc. until you are done and it is dry.
As far as giving another bath after a few weeks, I don't see the problem with that, but if you do everything I explained it should be the last bath for quite a while. BTW wash the cat first and then treat the house. Oh, and put a moth ball in the vacuum bag.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

As far as giving another bath after a few weeks, I don't see the problem with that, but if you do everything I explained it should be the last bath for quite a while. BTW wash the cat first and then treat the house. Oh, and put a
moth ball in the vacuum bag.
The problem with that is exactly what we stated above. Continuous bathing is really bad for the cats skin and fur. It removed the natural oils and can really dry out the skin and cause itching. Also, bathing with flea shampoo from a pet store can KILL your pet. How do you not see anything wrong with that? Do you really want to take that risk? UNLESS you are referring to another bath with Dan Dish Soap, then maybe after awhile that is fine, but still, too many baths are bad AND using a flea shampoo multiple times is really bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caliprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I haven't given him another bath. I knew that the Hartz flea medacine was killing cats, back in 2002 but I didn't know that all over the counter flea medication was dangerous! I'll definatly have to get to the vet to get some flea medication for him and the other four cats. He's the only one that has them at the moment, we bathed two of the kittens and his came back the other kitten I combed with the flea come a couple days ago and I didn't get anything. One of the adult cats has fleas also, hers aren't anywhere near as bad though. But I'll talk to my mom about getting her some medacine, since she is technically hers, she's just always in my room...LoL. Do you think I should trust buying advantage off ebay?

I've heard that putting salt on the carpets kills the fleas, does anybody know about that?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry for my bad advice for a new bath with the flea shampoo. I thought you had some sort known as harmless for cats.

anyway, several other come to your rescue, so NOW you did get adequate help!
That is that most important.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Caliprincess - flea collars are good for one thing - cutting them up and putting them in your vaccuum cleaner bag! Then vaccuum frequently - every day if you can until you're a week past being sure there's no more flea problem. The flea collar(s) cut up in the vac bag will kill fleas and their eggs without harming your cats. Do change the bag and add a new flea collar to it every few days.

And Jen - I think when Gail was saying the bath in the next few weeks is OK she was referring to a bath with dish soap, not a flea shampoo. And if the cat still has fleas in any significant quantity, eliminating the fleas is more important than maintaining the cat's coat for right now.

However, I still think it's best if you can figure out a way to afford Frontline or Advantage. Those are the safest way to go.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

The problem with that is exactly what we stated above. Continuous bathing is really bad for the cats skin and fur. It removed the natural oils and can really dry out the skin and cause itching. Also, bathing with flea shampoo from a pet store can KILL your pet. How do you not see anything wrong with that? Do you really want to take that risk? UNLESS you are referring to another bath with Dan Dish Soap, then maybe after awhile that is fine, but still, too many baths are bad AND using a flea shampoo multiple times is really bad.
My post recommends using veternarian products, and she only had washed the cat once so far. I don't think her coat would dry out that fast. You have to get rid of the fleas before they devour you and the cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

My post recommends using veternarian products, and she only had washed the cat once so far. I don't think her coat would dry out that fast. You have to get rid of the fleas before they devour you and the cat.
Ya sorry I thought you were talking about bathing her again in flea shampoo or something. I got confused, sorry bout that