Fleas and worms...

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be keeping Duke as a house cat so was wondering if it is necessary to still give him flea and worm treatments. I don't have any other pets and am never in frequent contact with any other animals... He eats Royal Canin Maine Coon kitten food

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends partly on how big of a problem fleas are in your area. Some climates seem to attract more flea activity than others. I have two house cats and two dogs. We don't find it necessary to do regular treatments for any of them.

If you decide not to do flea treatments it's important to regularly check the animal over for any signs of fleas. A problem can accelerate rapidly, so it's vital to act quickly as soon as you see the first flea.

We don't find it necessary to worm our cats either, but worming kittens is important as they are far more susceptible. Simply catching and eating a bug could start a problem. With adults, I just keep an eye on both their bums and their poo - at the first sign of worms I would use an appropriate wormer.

Last edited:

stinkers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning,  I have an 10 yr.old Maine Coon, I was told to put 3-4 drops of Grapefruit seed extract (You can buy it at any health food store about $10)

it works as an antibiotic,for killing parasites, worms, fleas etc.  I now maitnance him by putting 3-4 drops in his (lg) water bowl, to keep himwell. It also helps with such things as abcesses & tooth decay.    Enjoy!     Stinkers

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution every month. It's a topical med that treats fleas, intestinal parasites and heartworm. I live in California where it never really gets cold enough to not worry about fleas and mosquitos so I feel safer using it every month instead of just the warm summer months. All my cats are indoor only, but you never know what flies in when the door is open or what you may track in on your shoes.

einzmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoors and I use Frontline Plus on them monthly. I've had fleas jump on my pants from the backyard. They probably came from the feral cats, raccoons and squirrels around the neighborhood. I even spray the yard every once in awhile just to lessen the chance of fleas.

Just today, a flea hopped on me. It probably came from the feral cat that was trying to drink some water from the rain barrels outside the backdoor. If you see any outdoor mammals or have grass anywhere, there are probably fleas outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the response xx