Fleas... again...

fluffykitty615

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we got my kitty, a DLH tabby, from a shelter. He was about 2 months old then. About a month after we got him, we found fleas. We did all the necessary precautions to clean the apartment. We gave him a few baths to help get rid of some of the fleas and the larvae and eggs. We even went to the vet to give him an alcohol dot on his neck to get rid of them. After that, he stopped scratching himself and was fine for a while.
Now he's about 8 months old. And lo and behold, I find two fleas. I ended up taking the flea comb and combed out the area I found them and found eggs... I also combed in other areas on his body but it seems like they are only by his neck. The thing is, we haven't seen him scratching himself much lately and he isn't in any bad moods.
We are debating if we should give him another one of those alcohol dots from the vet or not.
Any tips to make sure the apartment is clean enough? Should we do the alcohol dot thing again? Is there a secure way to prevent the fleas from coming back every couple months?

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fleas are just something you have to deal with when you have pets. They always come back eventually. Usually you can just get a flea treatment from your local vet that will do a decent job for a few months but you will pretty much have to keep buying them for duration of your pets life.
Aside from the liquid drops that are placed behind the neck you can now also get a pill type treatment called comfortis. Personally i found that comfortis works much better for much longer however it does seem to make mine feel a bit off colour for a day or so. Sometimes they throw up on the day i give it to them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As well as killing the fleas and flea eggs off your furry friend, you've also got to make sure you kill all of them in your apartment by cleaning like crazy (well,by MY standards anyway
)  I know you said you took the necessary cleaning precautions, but are you quite sure you got to every single little flea egg in there? 

Here, maybe something in this thread will help:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/330193/please-help-me-get-rid-of-fleas