Flea treatments for young kittens?

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Monty has fleas (not surprising giving that we don't know where he came from and the large amount of stray cats in our neighborhood).

I have NO clue on how to get rid of them since he is way to young for flea treatments. Maggie has them now as well (I just gave her a treatment)

HELP!

Any ideas? Can I bath him in baby shampoo? I read using dawn but I would think it be a tad drying to his skin and natural oils he needs

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? I think Revolution can be used as early as 7 weeks. Maybe Advantage, too (or that could be 8 weeks). Of course, the old standby that's safe for everybody is using a flea comb. Just comb those nasties out and shake them off into a cup of soapy hot water.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet gave Midnight Revolution Kitten when he was 3 weeks old. At the time we were told he was 6 weeks old. Midnight's been on Revolution since with no problems, and no flea out breaks.

You should really talk to your vet. The 1st night I got Luna, we gave her a bath in Dawn. It helped kill many, but not all the fleas.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1978

Monty has fleas (not surprising giving that we don't know where he came from and the large amount of stray cats in our neighborhood).

I have NO clue on how to get rid of them since he is way to young for flea treatments. Maggie has them now as well (I just gave her a treatment)

HELP!

Any ideas? Can I bath him in baby shampoo? I read using dawn but I would think it be a tad drying to his skin and natural oils he needs
I would recommend getting flea treatment from a vet - NO over-the-counter flea meds please.

You can certainly bathe him in Dawn. It won't hurt him or dry out his skin.

If you can get to a garden centre or farm supply place, pick up some food/human grade Diatomaceous Earth and sprinkle that into your carpeting and furniture. Leave it a few days before vacuuming it up. DE is a fine powder made of diatoms (a miniscule crustacean) that is like a soft fine powder to us but shards of glass to insects. It's a safe and effective way to treat your surroundings for fleas.

niki_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I recently took in a litter of 3 kittens who were abandoned at about 3 weeks of age. They were all extremely infested with fleas. What I would do is bathe them with dawn (as recommended by my vet). I filled the bathroom sink with warm water, just slightly warmer than body temp. I would have a couple towels next to me so I could wrap them up as soon as I was done bathing them. I would start by applying a ring of Dawn around their neck so when I submerged their body the fleas wouldn't just migrate to the head. I never submerged them completely, just used a baby washcloth for their face and head. I would submerged their body in the sink, then lather them up. I let them sit for a couple minutes in The water to try to drown as many fleas as possible. I would then rinse them with fresh warm water. I imediately wrapped them up in a towel and keep them warm until they were dry. I would use the flea comb several times a day and dunk those nasty fleas in a cup of soapy water. It took about 2 weeks bathing them every other day to completely get rid of the fleas in all 3 kittens but it did work. They had their own room that they stayed in and I sprayed flea spray around the door so the fleas wouldn't migrate to the rest of the house but the kittens weren't ever in contact with it. Hope that helps

Also, I changed/washed their bedding after each bath to kill the flea eggs.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can give him Capstar (a tablet) and also use a flea comb dipped in Dawn water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the vet is setting out a flea medicine for young kittens for me. He said to spray a towel and then wrap the kitten in the towel and hold him so the meds can suffocate them