Flea treatment suggestions

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While petting Scooter I noticed a flea on him after seeing the flea on him I got Casper and there is a flea on him. I think both are getting it from Nera cause she goes outside a lot. In my area the cheap brand is Hartz which I used to use. But after reading so many horror stories on Hartz on how it has made animals sick or has killed them I decided to no longer use that brand. I won’t buy anything that says Hartz anymore. I am going to Petco tomorrow so I may see what they have that is cheap. Sadly the good brands seresto advantage etc are all too expensive for me. I normally comb them then dip the comb in a vinegar water solution. Sometimes the comb is dipped in dawn dish soap and water. But I was wondering does anyone know any cheap flea treatments that will work and is safe for my 2 boys and my doggy baby girl?

Please do not suggest bathing Scooter & Casper I have tried that before and it stresses them out so much. With Scooter getting over a UTI I do not want to stress him out big time. So bathing my two boys is not an option. Nera my dog yeah she can get baths(which she hates always I get the stink eye every time 😂). But my two boys baths are not an option for them. Thank you in advance to anyone that answers.

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's great that you're looking for a safe and budget-friendly flea treatment for your pets.

Since you prefer not to bathe your cats, consider using a flea comb regularly to physically remove fleas. Continue with your vinegar and water or dawn dish soap solution as it can help in controlling fleas.

Remember, even with budget-friendly options, it's essential to follow the instructions carefully and monitor your pets for any adverse reactions. Good luck in your search for an effective and safe flea treatment! 🐾🦟

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hartz don't work, waste of money, I found out.....I went through many flea drops out there and have found Sentry fiproguard has been working well for years now on my 4 indoor/outdoor cats, 10 and 12 years old......This is trying to stay on a budget, you can get a 6 pack for about $20. on ebay.....there are many drops out there that say they have the same stuff and amount as Fiproguard BUT don't seem to do anything or may seem to work for a couple weeks.....This sentry fiproguard comes in 3 different ways, they all work great for me but I just stay with the one in a purple,white box....I rarely see any of my 4 indoor/outdoor cats scratching AND I have been through a inside flea outbreak many years ago before the regular Fiprogaurd use and I never want to go through that again....I've used only Fiprogaurd now for years and have been very happy.......IMO, that's the best you can do on a budget......If you want to pay for the best, I suggest Revolution Plus/Stronghold Plus, both about $42. for 3 on the internet..................

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's great that you're looking for a safe and budget-friendly flea treatment for your pets.

Since you prefer not to bathe your cats, consider using a flea comb regularly to physically remove fleas. Continue with your vinegar and water or dawn dish soap solution as it can help in controlling fleas.

Remember, even with budget-friendly options, it's essential to follow the instructions carefully and monitor your pets for any adverse reactions. Good luck in your search for an effective and safe flea treatment! 🐾🦟
Nera I can bathe her which is no problem except she hates baths. But my two boys baths are definitely a no go. It’s why I started with the combing then dipping in vinegar or dawn dish soap. Of course I never add too much of any of them. It’s always a small amount in water. Besides I never use too much cause getting them to sit still longer then a min is impossible sometimes. 😂

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hartz don't work, waste of money, I found out.....I went through many flea drops out there and have found Sentry fiproguard has been working well for years now on my 4 indoor/outdoor cats, 10 and 12 years old......This is trying to stay on a budget, you can get a 6 pack for about $20. on ebay.....there are many drops out there that say they have the same stuff and amount as Fiproguard BUT don't seem to do anything or may seem to work for a couple weeks.....This sentry fiproguard comes in 3 different ways, they all work great for me but I just stay with the one in a purple,white box....I rarely see any of my 4 indoor/outdoor cats scratching AND I have been through a inside flea outbreak many years ago before the regular Fiprogaurd use and I never want to go through that again....I've used only Fiprogaurd now for years and have been very happy.......IMO, that's the best you can do on a budget......If you want to pay for the best, I suggest Revolution Plus/Stronghold Plus, both about $42. for 3 on the internet..................
Hartz hardly did work but soon as I found out what it was doing to pets I decided to never buy anything Hartz again. It is making me wonder if Hartz is why my previous dogs(who have all since passed after long lives) would have issues. My last dog (before I got Nera) Leon after baths which I had a Hartz shampoo he would break out and his skin would turn red. He would dig and bite til he was bald in spots. When I started using baby shampoo he would be fine. After reading people’s stories it makes me wonder why it hasn’t been taken off shelves yet.

I am not sure if that is offered in my area. The next thing I have used is Pet Armor which works great. I would love to get advantage II or seresto but I can’t afford it. It’s why I look for alternatives in everything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Pet Armor works, why not stay with that? There is a Pet Armor Plus, which addresses flea eggs/larvae too, like Advantage II does, but it is still cheaper, Is it because of your dog?

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If Pet Armor works, why not stay with that? There is a Pet Armor Plus, which addresses flea eggs/larvae too, like Advantage II does, but it is still cheaper, Is it because of your dog?
oh no treating Nera is no problem it’s just my boys. When it comes to them I can be a little nutty. I do normally get Pet Armor. But I want to make sure I have all options cover if I don’t have the funds to get it. Which probably makes me sound nutty.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't sound nutty at all xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx .
Fleas can be a huge pain. When you comb the cats, are you finding flea dirt (aka the little specks of flea poop?) Pay careful attention to the base of the tail, as well as the area around their neck, cheeks, and ears. For some reason, fleas love those areas.
How big is the area that Nera goes out into? Is it a fenced yard or is it a common area that other dogs frequent? Is it big, or is it a smaller space?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't sound nutty at all xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx .
Fleas can be a huge pain. When you comb the cats, are you finding flea dirt (aka the little specks of flea poop?) Pay careful attention to the base of the tail, as well as the area around their neck, cheeks, and ears. For some reason, fleas love those areas.
How big is the area that Nera goes out into? Is it a fenced yard or is it a common area that other dogs frequent? Is it big, or is it a smaller space?
My yard is not fenced in Nera only goes out when I take her outside. She stays with me while I walk around my yard to make sure she goes potty. My yard is not all that big really. But no other dog comes in my yard. I try to keep her from other dogs cause of her size.

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nera I can bathe her which is no problem except she hates baths. But my two boys baths are definitely a no go. It’s why I started with the combing then dipping in vinegar or dawn dish soap. Of course I never add too much of any of them. It’s always a small amount in water. Besides I never use too much cause getting them to sit still longer then a min is impossible sometimes. 😂
I completely understand that bathing your cats can be a challenge, especially if they're not fans of water! 😅 Combining gentler methods like combing and using a diluted solution of vinegar or dish soap sounds like a reasonable approach to help keep them flea-free without causing too much stress. It's all about finding what works best for you and your feline companions. 🐱🛁😄