Flea Treatment any experts?

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm working in a pet store, I'm usually in charge of the cat section but since I'm pretty new I'm still being trained.
Would love to know the difference between revolution, frontline, advantage, etc..
does anyone know?
or could you send me some helpful links?

I'm so confused about the products, I have so much to learn!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, for one thing, Frontline, Advantage and Revolution are only sold to vets by the manufacturers so I'd question where the products come from, in a pet store.

Frontline PLUS kills adult fleas and eggs, as does Revolution, Frontline regular and Advantage kill adult fleas only so do not break the life cycle of the flea.

Revolution controls ear mites and some parasites and protects against heartworm. Revolution requires a prescription to purchase, as it is absorbed differently than the other two and cannot be used on sick animals.

Frontline PLUS protects against ticks.

I'm sure others will have more info, or you could just visit the manufacturer's website for each product.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different absorption. iirc - Frontline absorbs the least and stays more in the oils and skin. Advantage and Revolution absorb through to the blood stream - with Revolution absorbing faster.

You'd probably have to look up each pesticide and find studies if you wanted more specific actions each pesticide has - the brand websites won't go that far into detail.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Different absorption. iirc - Frontline absorbs the least and stays more in the oils and skin. Advantage and Revolution absorb through to the blood stream - with Revolution absorbing faster.

You'd probably have to look up each pesticide and find studies if you wanted more specific actions each pesticide has - the brand websites won't go that far into detail.

And Petco and Petsmart plus feed and small pet stores have had Frontline and Advantage for a NUMBER of yrs as they are NOW and have been for a while OTC drugs

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While Frontline, Frontline Plus, and Advantage do not require a prescription, when you buy them from anywhere besides a veterinarian, there is no guarantee (from the manufacturer) that you will be purchasing the genuine product, as these companies sell only to veterinarians.

from frontline (merial) website: http://frontline.us.merial.com/hlp_faq.asp

Where can I buy FRONTLINE Brand Products?

FRONTLINE Brand Products for dogs and cats are available from your family veterinarian.

Why are FRONTLINE Brand Products only available through my veterinarian?

It is Merial's sales policy to sell our small animal products only where a veterinarian/client/patient relationship exists. Merial believes that the veterinarian is the only professional qualified to serve the health care needs of pets, the concerns of their owners and the appropriate use of our small animal products such as FRONTLINE Brand Products.
from Advantage (bayer) website: http://advantage.petparents.com/findVet.cfm

Where to Buy

Find a Veterinarian

AdvantageÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] can be purchased from your licensed veterinarian. To find a veterinarian near you, enter your zip code below.
I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just warning people that when you buy these products elsewhere than a veterinarian clinic, you take a risk.

And check with your vet about prices, you may be surprised. The vet clinic I use deliberately undersells on line pet supply stores for these products (they check prices daily) because their clients pets' safety comes first. Plus, when you buy the genuine product through your vet, if you buy a six pack, you get another tube free.

And never EVER buy flea products or other pet meds on places like e bay.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

And never EVER buy flea products or other pet meds on places like e bay.
Well from a doctor of some kind is usually my rule of thumb for my pets and family. Never buy medication unless its from a vet, or a vet calls it in to a pharmacy. Same with humans, gotta be a pharmacy for prescription or OTC.

Some cats will have different allergic reactions so I would almost never buy anything like that from Petsmart or Petco. Not that I'm hating on these stores, I'm a long time shopper. It's just this stuff can be serious, in the case of allergic reaction you're going to want to take them to a vet.

Besides, they are cheaper at my vet too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well heres a head up ... since Petco started carring MOST locals vets ( about 90% ) have STOPPED carring it .. IMHO I wont touch any of it with a 10 ft pole but I have read up on each pesticide

I agree with the discuss it but realize some have discountiued carring and will send you to the pet store or a place like 1800petmeds

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^None of them have here, but than they're competition is 100+miles away.

I wonder people are forgetting that Petsmarts often have a Banfield in them or right next door?