Flea problems! Cat allergic to treatments

fallnstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello cat lovers <3  I have 3 indoor (rescue) cats.. Ever since, I moved to Florida I have had problems with fleas. But, I had it under control when I had

hard wood floors. I moved into a rugged apartment & now it is really OUT of control !  I read many of the post that people wrote & I am going to try some

of the things that were suggested ( flea collar in vacuum ) ..   My biggest problem is that, my last rescue cat is severely allergic to frontline and all the

other flea product.. I am not positive how old she is but, I'm sure she is a senior. I have noticed that, she bites off some of her fur & when I looked closely, 

I saw what I think was flea larvae !! I gave her a bath with Adams flea & tick shampoo & trim the affected area. I'm going to wash all of there beads & rugs as soon as possible & treat the apartment properly ( 3 times every 7 days )   But, is there anything Organic I can use on my senior (allergic) cat  to help get rid of the fleas & larvae ??  I use frontline on the other two cats.  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can bath her, use the original Dawn dishwashing liquid.  If not, as noted above, buy some Diatomaceaous Earth (DE) on Amazon (food grade).  It has a flour-like consistency, so be careful not to inhale it.  You can sprinkle some on her wet food and it will help kill the tape worms.  They have some sort of relationship with fleas - when you see tapeworms, you usually see fleas.

I've also seen someone make a paste from it and water and spread it around the cat's neck and shoulders.  If the cat eats it, no harm but it helps keep the DE on the cat.

You can also sprinkle it on the floors and rugs before vacuuming.  Again, just be careful not to inhale it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fallnstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much, for the help. I went to Home depot & bought a few items..

1. Diatomaceous Earth Tierra Diatomacea ( OMRI Organic. But, this is not the one that can be ingested.. 

So, I will use it for the apartment & my bed since, it kills bed bugs & other insects. I will order the food grade'

one on Amazon. but, I have to be honest, I am a little scared to give this to my cat in her food. I'll  to do a 

little more research. She is a older cat that almost died when I put frontline on her.(seriously) .The other two cats are not

so sensitive. I have a friend that will help me fumigate, he is a professional & has explained how the flea/ egg/ larvae cycle works.  

Fleas always go to the window sills, yes they like the lite. Lord, I hate Florida.

Thanks again 

declawedcassy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Table salt, and/or borax laundry booster worked for me on carpets. i haven't had a flea in ten years cause my pets eat healthy food, fleas and diseases are attracted to an unhealthy pet with a lowered immune system, my theory anyway. I tried the D.Earth, did not like it because of it's color and dust factor.