Flea problem questions

loveforruka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's hard to think of a title for this one.

So we have 4 cats. They are now all on Revolution. We tried AdvantageII but it did nothing (seriously it was like we did nothing). My dog uses AdvantixII and it works for him. Both in repelling (and I'm assuming killing if they bite). The only one who doesn't have flea meds on her is my bunny. Mainly because I didn't see a single flea on her. Now I have. So I'll have to go through the process of putting flea meds on her which is incredibly sucky. However I haven't see her scratch or itch or anything. I think because my bunny is such an avid groomer she's just been eating them. Either way, not worth the risk in her being the cause of why this flea problem continues.

Anyway. We have done DE, spray, flea meds, but they keep coming back. We have lots of fabric. Carpets, our bedding, curtains, couch stuffed animals, clothes, etc. I feel like there's no way to clean all the surfaces! Bombing or whole house spraying isn't an option. I can't cover enough stuff and we have an aquarium. We actually were doing well for about a week then they came back (on the cats). I feel like if I keep up the spraying it might help (it's a natural oil spray and is very effective). Our vacuum is broken and I can't afford a new one right now, but I spray the carpets which is probably more effective than vacuuming anyway.

I know the meds work by if they bite, they die. Problem is I don't think the fleas are biting. I see them on the cats but if we kill them, nothing, no blood. We'll even find random fleas and they too have no blood. In the 2 months of having this issue we've only found a few fleas that have blood. I'm guessing they don't really hang around if they bite. I haven't been finding as much flea dirt as much on the cats since the Revolution, mainly just fleas. Then our other problem is they are biting our roommate. They don't really bite me and my boyfriend, but my roommate has them all over his ankle. How are we supposed to get a handle on the flea problem if they feed off us (the humans)? In my searching on this forum no one really talks about that. I know they can only live on animals with fur and fabric, but they can survive on any blood.

So we've been treating for two months with little success. However until we put the Revolution on the cats I rarely found a flea on myself. If I did it was when I was bathing the cats or dog. But recently we've been finding them on us. I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign that the problem is getting worse. We have found dead fleas lying around. So I'm assuming the medicine is working. So is it working so well the fleas are trying to find other sources? Or is the problem so bad we are insanely infested? Take in mind when they were kittens, locked in our bedroom, and found they were horribly infested, we still didn't find a flea on us.

I just don't know what to think. Some people say it take months to truly get rid of the problem because you have to wait till they all die from the meds, but how do I know they are even being effective? Should we just spray more often? The smell is so strong it's hard to motivate myself, it's Out! Flea and Tick home spray, it uses clove and peppermint. I totally recommend it but it will make everything smell strongly of cloves.