Flea Allergy Dermatitis - Back Of Upper Rear Legs?

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. My 2-year old indoor only has been gnawing at the back of his legs, and when I rub my fingers back there, I can feel a thin line of bumps. Upon googling, it appears that one cause can be flea allergy dermatitis.

2 weeks ago I spotted a flea or 2 and treated with Advantage 2, and it appears during combing that any fleas are currently controlled.

Assuming my home diagnosis is correct, does it take some time for these bumps to go down, and how can I treat him at home? I use Chlorpheniramine with another cat who has something similar that the vet thinks is more of an environmental allergy that she gets from time to time.

Should I try using this with my 2-year old? Does this typically warrant a vet trip? He's a difficult traveler, so I'm trying to keep his stress down.

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is flea allergies, and you have, indeed, successfully deflea'd (dear Lord, how would one spell that?) both the cat and your home (to prevent re-infestation), then you might try brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling in the fridge, and applying it to the affected area with a soft wipe of some sort, rather heavily, but don't drench him. The tea makes a very soothing wash for anything ouchy on the skin (both cats and humans), and as it is safe for internal use in cats at the proper dosage, you don't need to be concerned about him grooming it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've not seen any more evidence of fleas, so I assume if the irritation is due to fleas, it should clear up soon. Does anyone think it warrants a vet visit?? There no bleeding or infection, just a bumpy area that he's biting.

Thanks.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give it a few more days, and try that tea so that he isn't constantly biting and irritating it. If it doesn't clear up by, oh, say, Monday, or if it gets worse, you would want to consider a vet trip, just in case. Which is why I recommend the tea. It will stop the itching so that he isn't irritating it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Already have the tea and plan to try it this evening!
Thanks so much!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent! LOL, one of our members tried it on her eczema and said she got a decent night's sleep for the first time in weeks. Good for man or beast, apparently.