Flatulent kitten

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys some of you may know I took Butter in from his life as a feral after his Mom was hit and killed by a car back in July/augest when he was 8 weeks old anyway lately because money and supply chain issues we switched from feeding American Journey and Purina naturals mix to plain Purina cat chow (the American Journey went up nearly double and I can't find the cat chow natural in my area) anyway I'm not sure if it's the food or growing up or something else and our vet is nearly always booked because she only charges $35 for an office call anyway I was hoping someone on here might help he has the raunchiest Farts ever that linger any advice on dealing with this?

Attachments

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats got "gassy" when I tried Rawz brand wet food. One of them had chronic diarrhea on his current food, and I was desperate to try something, so I think I did the change maybe too fast. Rawz has fenugreek seeds, and I am guessing seeds are the source of fiber, which likely caused the gas (my cats would just smell when they were in my lap as how I found out). I am actually considering trying it again because I have three cats and two of them started refusing the food they have been on, and the food trials are not going great (my cats are not used to all the gums in most foods, and one is allergic to seafood).

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe the source of fiber or amount of fiber in Purina cat chow might be different than the American Journey or the Cat Chow Naturals. I looked, and it looks like the Cat Chow has soy flour and the naturals does not. I found an article that soy flour/soy protein can cause gas in people. You did not say which American Journey you were using, but if it was grain free and you were doing half with the Cat Chow Naturals, that would still be half of the grains and such even in the Naturals. Maybe you could find something grain free to do half with the Cat Chow. I totally get the financial stuff. Since the start of COVID, our home grocery bill has nearly doubled, and yes, the cat food keeps going up, $2 this order, $1 more a case next order, etc. - plus our electric and water shot up as well. Hang in there!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago was the food change? That can certainly cause flatulence, and even diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
American Journey is all grain free and it was the salmon it's been about 2-3 months sence I stopped AJ but only a month sence I stopped Car Chow Naturals as my local stores no longer have it in them.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
American Journey is all grain free and it was the salmon it's been about 2-3 months sence I stopped AJ but only a month sence I stopped Car Chow Naturals as my local stores no longer have it in them.
Had to stop AJ food because price vs car repairs I live in a rural area so public transportation is next to nill anyway stopped AJ food in October due to $450 break job November Brought Rack and Pinnon issue at $1100 and December found me replacing a Radiator hose for $300 this past month I had to buy a new Windshield washer fluid resavouir as it froze and busted and the good ole boys throw too much mud to do with out so will restart AJ next week as I have to change foods my Mignon (7 will be 8 in May) started puking with in 5 min after eating Purina cat chow dry food last night (he's had issues before and we stoped Purina a while till his tummy settled or whatever ingredients caused it were changed) so have to switch might as well try one ge really likes he's currently eating only fancy feast appetizers lol all he'll eat in wet food after trying to hide liquid wormer in regular canned food when he was a yearling. And we'll see if the switch helps with Butter butt's Gas because our of 7 indoor kitties he's my baby skunk

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm betting that there is ONE ingredient that's causing it. That's typical. And it is almost impossible to pin it down, unless it is the protein...and that takes WEEKS of trying different novel proteins to track down. Next time he goes to the vet, mention this. You know, cats can eat ginger (although I strongly advise against ginger products, such as gingerale, gingerbread, etc). It does aid in digestion in cats, and in humans really helps with flatulence. The dosage of the powder is 1/8-1/4 teaspoon per day for an adult cat, so I'm thinking 1/8 teaspoon a day. You can put it in a capsule and pop it down him. He MAY be willing to eat it in a pill pocket, wouldn't hurt to try.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm betting that there is ONE ingredient that's causing it. That's typical. And it is almost impossible to pin it down, unless it is the protein...and that takes WEEKS of trying different novel proteins to track down. Next time he goes to the vet, mention this. You know, cats can eat ginger (although I strongly advise against ginger products, such as gingerale, gingerbread, etc). It does aid in digestion in cats, and in humans really helps with flatulence. The dosage of the powder is 1/8-1/4 teaspoon per day for an adult cat, so I'm thinking 1/8 teaspoon a day. You can put it in a capsule and pop it down him. He MAY be willing to eat it in a pill pocket, wouldn't hurt to try.
Thanks I'll try it out 🤞😸👃🐈💨💩😷🤢

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a cat like that. He could clear the room in 5 seconds flat. It wasn't like a regular cat fart, which (GOD KNOWS) is bad enough. He'd heave a great sigh, his little butt would flutter, and the fart would roll out and detonate in the room. I SO wish I had known about the ginger with him!