Flatulant Mom

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is sort of puzzling us. Is it common for nursing moms to have gas? Meeka is an indoor cat, never been outside and on a raw diet. Her weight is perfect as well as her coat and poops have not changed, very healthy...except she has gas (and pretty bad!). Does anyone have any ideas?

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We took in a stray who was pregnant and good grief she would clear the room. The only thing worse than her gas was her poop...it would make your eyes water. She had gas the entire time she was nursing My best friend took the kittens when they were about 10wks. old and I kept the Mom...Cubbie... and had her spayed. Finally about 2wks after having her spayed it stopped.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd guess it's because she's eating kitten food. Although highly nutritious, it's very rich and high in protein, causing lots of bottom-burps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspected it might be related to the nursing but am reassured it is nothing unusual! Thanks guys!

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could be just like us humans, i know when i nursed my boys i had bad gas, dr said it was because of all the contractions down there, i would imagine any mamal that nurses would have the same. odd how similar we can be.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat had really bad gas all her life til about a week ago. I switched her food. I started giving her Maxximum for kittens(in a black and purple bag). It's a walmart brand cat food. I was reading nutritional stuff. It has less fiber(leading cause in gas) and more protein than even the most expensive kitten food I could find. Plus, it's only about $3.50 a bag! That's half the price of the name brand foods, but better quality! It takes a couple days to work, but I haven't had any gas problems since.

It worked for my cat, so maybe it will work for your. It's worth a try since it's only $3.50.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we actually do a raw food diet, so you can't get any high in protien or quality than that
. Meeka and Hope have been on it since kittens and Autumn for a year. None of our cats have had gas until Meeka started nursing her babies so it must be that. Their poop is almost odorless too.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what ur going on about now Lilly has started to stink lol only been the last few day's though and i havn't changed her food so it must be the nursing

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that you mention it, I remember that Sneakers had a lot of gas when she was nursing, too.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reilly is absolutely HORRID! And insists on sitting in my lap or on my pillow at night when she does it
The other day my mom was here and she jumped up on her lap as usual, stuck her rear right in my mom's face and let one go... My mom about
I died laughing

As much as I hate to admit it, I had gas when I was pregnant