Flat nipples, no energy

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son's cat is aprox. 2 months pregnant and it shows. For the last week she has been less and less active, shallow breathing, and just lays on the floor maybe rolls over now and then. Her nipples feel flat and somewhat dry, as if nothing in them. She's not taking any food or water when offered or not, but it always is available. She hasn't been seen going potty recently as well.
It's Labor Day and nothing is open, not much funds, even unsure if she should be moved. No blood visible. No fluid coming from her at all. Just lays on the floor with eyes open breathing as though she had the biggest dinner of her life. She's about 2 years old and this is her second pregnancy. Her 1st 4 kitten litter are about 5 months old.
Please help, we're very worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend a vet visit right away. Something is wrong. Her nipples should be showing and she should be starting to make milk by now. I hope it's not pyometra. Does she seem to have a fever?

Are there any emergency vets in your area?
She is cool to the touch. There is one e-vet but it is a bit far. I'll see what I can do about getting her there.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me it sounds like she is about ready to give birth.
What about the flat nipples? And she doesn't seem to want to get up, eat or drink, or even potty. Is that normal?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know much about pregnancy in cats, but I would say call an emergency vet, even if you can’t get in. They should be able to at least give you basic advice. Please keep us updated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My son's cat is aprox. 2 months pregnant and it shows. For the last week she has been less and less active, shallow breathing, and just lays on the floor maybe rolls over now and then. Her nipples feel flat and somewhat dry, as if nothing in them. She's not taking any food or water when offered or not, but it always is available. She hasn't been seen going potty recently as well.
It's Labor Day and nothing is open, not much funds, even unsure if she should be moved. No blood visible. No fluid coming from her at all. Just lays on the floor with eyes open breathing as though she had the biggest dinner of her life. She's about 2 years old and this is her second pregnancy. Her 1st 4 kitten litter are about 5 months old.
Please help, we're very worried.
You can perhaps get telephone advice? almost any vet whom has telephone hours. Or your own vet where you are his paying patients...

Its difficult to know for sure. It CAN be alarming, but its common high pregs ARE layong more or less motionsless, and let the batch mature....

If you worry for lack of energhy, you can always rub in some white caro syrup on her gum, under her lip. Karo or any other source of glucose sugar you have at hand...

You can also try to forcefeed her some water. If you have a needleless syringe or dropper. One holds, the other forcefeed (in the corner of the mouth, dropwise unless she actively swallows).

It does happens cats whom refuse to drink themselves, are accepting to be forcefeed.

Once you began, you can of course make more of this forcefeed fluid: goats milk, kmr, watered down cat food...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the pics the current pics? What you are alarming about? HERE she looks clear in face and eyes, its not a dim look of a cat in great distress.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she now? She may be laboring. Some cats will not eat during labor. And milk can come in after delivery for some cats, but I agree that things do not seem quite right.

She may have dystocia, which is when contractions are not strong enough to bring on labor and she would need a c-section to get the kittens out and to save her life.

See about a payment plan with a vet as it sounds like she needs prompt medical attention. In the meantime, try giving her some sugar water with a syringe in small amounts.

She’ll eventually need spaying, and her 5-month-old kittens need spays, neuters, and homes too.

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on momma kitty!
Being she's my son's cat, I let him make the judgement call after reading him what things are as described within. He felt the need to wait until morning, and he knows her well...currently she has 2 babies present! She is in her private place and seems content. OMG I knew I came to the right place being here.
I will continue to keep an eye on her and the little ones in case anything goes left field.
Thank you all so much!! I can't express the gratitude for the carrying you of all shown.
I'll share a pic I took moments ago of momma cat...thanks again!
Lea
IMG_20210601_113847664.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update on momma kitty!
Being she's my son's cat, I let him make the judgement call after reading him what things are as described within. He felt the need to wait until morning, and he knows her well...currently she has 2 babies present! She is in her private place and seems content. OMG I knew I came to the right place being here.
I will continue to keep an eye on her and the little ones in case anything goes left field.
Thank you all so much!! I can't express the gratitude for the carrying you of all shown.
I'll share a pic I took moments ago of momma cat...thanks again!
LeaView attachment 382775
Excellent! Beaming!
The difficult etappe is over, but the race still goes on!

So. You was worried she had flat nipples. Its very common milk comes in after the birth, but occasionally it doesnt comes...
So you and son must watch if the kittens suckle - and add weight as they should.

Its not always easy for a new be, as they will try to suckle even if momma hasnt enough.
So the easiest is to weight them every day. Every 12 hours the first day as the exact situation is unclear.

If they add 10+ grammes daily, its all well, you dont need to do much extras.
If its much less; you shall worry!

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm seeing 5 or 6 little heads in there feeding. No crying but a Minnie mew once in a while. They look nice and plump too. I will buy some powered formula just in case and to ease my son's mind. He plans on putting a vid cam in her area to keep a better eye on all! Awesome. This is only the second litter I've ever watched, and I've only taken in one orphan to raise years ago, so when my son gets nervous about his momma cat, his momma wants to make everything alright. 😉 I'll add another pic from a few moments ago.
Thanks for everything!
IMG_20210601_132509021.jpg

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on momma kitty. We thought there were only 6, but upon closer inspection, my son has informed me there are 7! Yup, 7 healthy babies nursing and growing. Mostly black or grey with one orange tabby, already spoken for!
As always, thank you all for everything!
20210602_162847.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on momma kitty. We thought there were only 6, but upon closer inspection, my son has informed me there are 7! Yup, 7 healthy babies nursing and growing. Mostly black or grey with one orange tabby, already spoken for!
As always, thank you all for everything!
View attachment 383540

Thank you for the adorable pics. I love the white faces on the two. :)
Seven kittens- wow! Mom must be exhausted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep a close eye to make sure all 7 are getting enough milk and growing. This is done by daily weighing in grams. With 7, there’s sure to be a runt or two who need supplementing with kitten formula and a syringe. Kittens should gain 6-10 grams daily each. If not, they need help. Let us know!

Orange Julius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the adorable pics. I love the white faces on the two. :)
Seven kittens- wow! Mom must be exhausted.
Yes! Aren't they prrrrecious!
Momma is back to her playful self, but checks on babies often and is very attentive!! She's a very good momma indeed.