Flagyl - I hate this medication!!!

robbie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although a good medicine Flagyl can become very toxic to some animals.
One of my Sibs was placed on a fairly high dose of Flagyl and after about week he became really toxic to it and this started giving him seizures about every 15 mins. Fortunatly the vet was at our kennels at the time and he had heard of this and was able to help.
Robbie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. As much as I hate what Flagyl did to Katy's appetite, it was even worse seeing her lay there curled up in a ball, not even looking at me when I went in to love on her. She's had problems lately with rear leg weakness, we're thinking due to spondylosis in her back, but it got a lot worse on Flagyl.

Katy seems to be really sensitive to quite a few antibiotics, except for Zeniquin and Baytril.

She's been off Flagyl for several days now and is much more alert. Yesterday she spent at least part of the day up and about and even jumped up onto the cat tree! Today though, not so good, but she got Leukeran this morning for her IBD, and that sometimes seems to make her not feel well.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone given the entire daily dose of flagyl at one time? I am finding I exmtremely difficult to get this medication in my 16 year old kitty who spits out the pills and hates the liquid even though it is flavored. She has IBD and is starting to look at me with suspicion... When she went off it she gets very sick. If your kitty had IBD do you use flagyl and/or steroids?. I am scared because she is not getting her full amount of medicine. She is in remission from diabetes so I am trying to so steroids which trigger diabetes. If you have experience with IBD I would be very grateful for any experience or guidance or suggestions.
Thank you very much

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do NOT give the entire dose at once!

That’s now how antibiotics work.

Besides, the difference between medicine and poison is the dose. You can end up with a very sick or possibly dead cat if you give too much medicine at once.

If you’re having trouble giving flagyl, ask your vet about compounding options or alternative antibiotics.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You literally cannot use Steroids in a cat in diabetic remission. Otherwise I would say to use it instead. I reread, seems like you know that oops. Sorry.

Wedgewood can compound it into an ointment it looks like. I would try that. Have your doctor call it in.

Metronidazole Topical Ointment, Wedgewood Pet Rx

Look at all those options.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You literally cannot use Steroids in a cat in diabetic remission. Otherwise I would say to use it instead. I reread, seems like you know that oops. Sorry.

Wedgewood can compound it into an ointment it looks like. I would try that. Have your doctor call it in.

Metronidazole Topical Ointment, Wedgewood Pet Rx

Look at all those options.
That one says it is prescribed for horses. Also, a topical ointment may not have systemic effects. I would think that would need to be a transdermal instead. Antibiotics are not recommended as transdermals because if the absorption is variable or sub-optimal, insufficient antibiotic doses encourage resistance. Of those options, I would probably recommend the two featured ones: flavored chewable tablets or tiny tabs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny tabs are great too. Just ask your vet which one they would recommend. Many medications can be compounded into different forms. Metronidazole is usually used to control diarrhea, seeing as their pet has IBD and will likely be on it long term, maybe there is a better medication or suppliment for diarrhea they can use, that can be compounded into transdermal or and ointment of some sort.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I feel terrible when I give her the liquid even though it is flavored. She hates it and runs away. She is drinking a lot of water which is a sign her diabetes may be back. It feels a little overwhelming to give her shots and flagyl and maybe later steroids especially since she doesn't like any kind of treats or bribes anymore even temptations or cream cheese. I am scared. But I will give her her second dose later today a and call about the mini melts. I am straining financially too but hate to even think about to that because she is my heart

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny tabs are great too. Just ask your vet which one they would recommend. Many medications can be compounded into different forms. Metronidazole is usually used to control diarrhea, seeing as their pet has IBD and will likely be on it long term, maybe there is a better medication or suppliment for diarrhea they can use, that can be compounded into transdermal or and ointment of some sort.
Have you tried saccharomyces boulardii? It is a yeast probiotic. It's often used in people for stopping diarrhea. But it's been studied a lot and shown effective in cats as well. It is described about halfway down this page:
Probiotics – IBDKitties

Krista actually likes the yeast. I was able to get her to take a course of metro mixed in with the yeast. She likes the yeast just that much more than she disliked the metro.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. My vet said transdermal is not good for flagyl. Has anyone tried the mini melt? I wonder if she will try to spit that out too. I can't go pills into her. They end up in my bed.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried saccharomyces boulardii? It is a yeast probiotic. It's often used in people for stopping diarrhea. But it's been studied a lot and shown effective in cats as well. It is described about halfway down this page:
Probiotics – IBDKitties

Krista actually likes the yeast. I was able to get her to take a course of metro mixed in with the yeast. She likes the yeast just that much more than she disliked the metro.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did try a probiotic but like most things lately except her food she ealkwa ea

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that available at the grocery store? Thank you very much.