Fks

Cocoandbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i found a very young kitten, maybe 4-5 weeks old (a guess) abandoned laying in the grass barely moving. I brought him/her in and gave it some soft food. It ate as if starved. It went in litter every time I put it in there and everything looked normal. But all it wanted to do was be cuddled and sleep. It would not take any water cat milk replacement or food from there on. A day passed with me cuddling it and it suddenly woke with a loud meow I picked it up and it was limp nonresponsive and gasping for air letting out a faint cry at same time then in no time at all stopped breathing and died. I believe It was out in cold for 1-2 nights if not longer without its mother I googled this and sounds like fading kitten syndrome.. anyhow very sad but I am now worried about the 2 grown (well 2 year old) cats I have. Can't they catch anything or get sick now from the stray being in my home? Please help I'm terrified for my babies!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for trying to help the poor little baby. I have had many stray cats and kittens in my home and although I keep them separate, I worry about my cats catching something too. I think your cats are probably fine, but I am no expert.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for giving that kitten the love and support it needed.

I also doubt your cats could get anything but if you want to, call your vet and check. The kitten was probably too far gone by the time you found it and died from malnutrition rather than anything else.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cocoandbaby Cocoandbaby

I doubt you have anything to worry about. It sounds to me like the poor kitten's internal organs were slowly shutting down from the days of cold and hunger.

Thank you for trying to save it!

Last edited:

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to witness such sadness. Bless your heart for trying to help. That kitten, thanks to you, was able to feel love before it's last breath. That's priceless :alright: I agree with Sarthur. I think your other babies will be fine ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cocoandbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to witness such sadness. Bless your heart for trying to help. That kitten, thanks to you, was able to feel love before it's last breath. That's priceless :alright: I agree with Sarthur. I think your other babies will be fine ;)
Thank you so much! It was and is heartbreaking! I only had the little baby a couple days but I already miss the sweet thing. Just wish I could've found the poor baby sooner:(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose it caugh pneumonia... Warmth, comfort, feeding in small portions but often, much pedialyte or honey sweeted water... Some massaging / cuddling. Giving love. That is what is possible to do.

The rest is in Gods hands.

RIP little one.