Fixed kitties keep marking...all 4 of them!

meowmiss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved into a new place and my kitties discovered a spot in the corner of my bed room where the previous tenant's dog must have urinated.
Now my kitties, who are all fixed even the females keep going in this one spot no matter what I do.
It is starting to STINK BAD no matter what i clean with!! Pretty sure I can't get my bed out of the room so I'm not sure about getting a new carpet. I'm going to have to steam clean it for sure, but I don't think that will get rid of it to their nose.

Anyone have any advice? ..THANKS!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to make it an unattractive place for them to gather there- or you can just put their food bowls there and be sure there is food in the bowls at all times. They don't pee where they eat.

But if the stain is set in and it probably is under the carpet and eating the wood floor- your best bet is to replace the entire carpet. If they can smell urine, they will go to the place and refresh it every three days. Even putting a small rug over it won't mask the smell. If you can smell it, they will really go for it as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, their litterboxes need to be as attractive as possible if you hope to solve inappropriate-urination issues. How many litterboxes do you have? How large are they? What kind/brand of litter? How often are the boxes scooped/cleaned?

Get a good brand of enzyme cleaner. SOAK the entire area with it, let it sit for a good long time, then sop it up with a bunch of towels (keep switching to a clean towel, or else you put the smell back in). Let it dry (best to have a fan blowing on it, to dry it faster), then do it again. Try to keep the cats out of the bedroom during this time. After that, put something over the area. Something they can't pee on. . . an end table or something. It would best to change the carpet, but this technique might work, it's worth a try anyway.