Five week old kittens won't eat wet food

edithd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three of my five week old kittens won't eat wet cat food. They try and just bury it. But this morning I was eating oatmeal and they were trying everything to get in my bowl. So I scoop a little in a dish and wouldn't you know, they ate every bit of it. I looked it up and it's actually good for them. Just thought I would share that.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Three of my five week old kittens won't eat wet cat food. They try and just bury it. But this morning I was eating oatmeal and they were trying everything to get in my bowl. So I scoop a little in a dish and wouldn't you know, they ate every bit of it. I looked it up and it's actually good for them. Just thought I would share that.
I'm not the expert, but I would think they are not getting the protein and if you have dairy in your oatmeal that is not good for them.

You could try some KMR and mix it with their canned food or in the US they have these food toppers called little soups, slurps...those worked for my 5 week old kittens and last but not least sometimes you just have to find their flavor. ;)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Buy a container of Gerber plain rice cereal and mix it with formula. That will give them plenty of iron until these two are eating wet cat food.

You can also mix Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food into the cereal and formula mixture. I’ve had kittens eat this combo for a couple of weeks during the weaning process. It’s fine!

E edithd

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edithd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not the expert, but I would think they are not getting the protein and if you have dairy in your oatmeal that is not good for them.

You could try some KMR and mix it with their canned food or in the US they have these food toppers called little soups, slurps...those worked for my 5 week old kittens and last but not least sometimes you just have to find their flavor. ;)

I tried the soups and every canned food possible. And no my oatmeal did not have any dairy in it.
They do love KMR plain. They won't touch it in any wet food. They do eat hard kitten food very well. I've tried wetting it with KMR and wet canned food. They still refuse to eat it. As long as they are eating hard foods and drinking KMR then I'm not to worried.