FIV, Uveitis, Anemia and more

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Last week, we said goodbye to a beloved ginger community cat who was a fixture in my neighborhood. He lived on a certain street and had a feeder who fed him for over a decade. His estimated age was 12/13. I am posting here today because I provided him vet and foster care as needed. I periodically checked in on him through the feeder(s) but as I learned, they didn’t tell me when he was sick or injured. I had to find out by personally checking on him myself. I am disappointed by how things turned out and want to get your blunt, honest opinion on his condition and whether you think he could’ve been saved. If any of you have experience dealing with these ailments, please share your experience.

On Xmas, I found ginger boy emaciated with an upper respiratory infection and glaucoma/uveitis in one eye. He was taken into foster care and was squeezed into a vet appnt 2 days later. Here were his stats:
  • FIV (he was negative 2 years ago)
  • Glaucoma on left eye w/ possible lymphoma behind it (in need of eye removal and biopsy)
  • Severe periodontal disease (needs teeth extraction)
  • Non-regenerative Anemia and in need of blood transfusion
  • No white blood cells
  • Upper respiratory infection
  • Vet said he was wasting away but I believe his weight loss was due to not being given food that he could eat. He was pigging out in my care. I gave him soft, mousse based, or puréed food, or added water to his wet food and he ate every hour or 2. Poor thing was starving.
Vet recommended euthanasia. My neighbor who accompanied me wanted to comply and put him down immediately. I asked for 1 week to do research, possibly get a second opinion, and make a decision (got gabapentin and antibiotics for palliative care). I regret not getting that second opinion. In any case, if we had gone forth with his treatment, the first step would’ve been to deal with the upper respiratory infection, which would take 10 to 14 days. Then he would get the blood transfusion. Followed by the eye removal and dental surgery if he was fit to go under. One of the vet’s concerns was if he could survive all the procedures.

From prior experience nursing him back to health from a combination of bad URI, UTI, and multiple bite wounds, he was a fighter. Just that this time, he was 3lbs lighter (went from 11lb to 8lb and was skin and bones to the touch), looked ill as opposed to just suffering from a cold, and sat in the meatball position more often than I wished. Every time I checked on him, I was scared I’d find he had passed. But after a couple of days under my care, eating lots and getting supplements, he started to show little bouts of energy. He would play with toys, walk around the room, go up the stairs, come back down and hop on the window wanting fresh air. Then after 5 minutes of being exposed to the cold air, he’d go back to the heated cat bed and sit in the meatball position like he was freezing.

A big factor for me was his weight. He was emaciated and I didn’t think his body could fight off infections or handle treatments in that condition. And I wondered if he could withstand the pain from his teeth and uveitis for 2 more weeks while working to put on weight and beat the URI.

If any of you have any opinions, have experience putting emaciated cats under treatments and procedures, or know cats who beat the odds, please share your experience. Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of his symptoms sound very similar to those I've seen in cats with FIV. Particularly the eye issues, the periodontal disease and the URI.

I think with outdoor cats, especially those who have FIV, there are limits to how much you can do for them. All of my cats are former feral rescues. In the past year one of my FIV girls, who always had a runny nose and watery eyes, developed a tumor in one eye. Even though we had the eye removed the cancer eventually spread and she passed away just three months after the enucleation surgery.

All of the FIV cats I've cared for have had to have most of their teeth removed. They're also more prone to kidney disease than other cats are. If a friendly, indoor only cat develops kidney problems you have all sorts of options, such as regular sub q fluids, blood tests to monitor their progress, special food and medication. With one of my feral boys are only option was daily medication. It was impossible for the vet to treat him without him being sedated, but his kidneys wouldn't have stood regular sedation. He lived for another 10 months on a special kidney diet and daily meds, but he was just a bag of bones when he passed away.

I think you made the right choice by having him PTS. Ultimately the treatment available to your cat would only have bought him a bit more time rather than curing him completely. You need to consider the quality of life in cases like these and for cats who are used to a life outdoors even being kept inside and handled more than they are used to can be very distressing for them.

If I had known enucleation was only going to give Happy another 3 months I wouldn't have put her through such an invasive surgery. It took her a while to recover from that and by the time her stitches were out and her fur had grown back she already had other tumors.

12 isn't bad for an outdoor cat. You gave him a safe, warm place to spend his final days in. I think that was the best outcome for him.

I'm sorry for your loss.

:hugs:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The anemia is also something that can happen with FIV cats. It is autoimmune in nature. Someone here lost her 15-year-old FIV cat to this. She tried getting him a transfusion and then steroids, but the anemia came back. Once issues begin to stack up like this along with the FIV and age I think euthanasia was the right choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses and sharing your experience. It was very informative. The cancer recurring after the enucleation was one of my concerns. If a treatment was only going to extend his life by a mere months, I didn’t want to put him through it. I have experience putting a cat with cancer through surgery and chemo that didn’t work, so I definitely didn’t want to repeat a similar agony. The anemia returning is scary too.

I actually grew up with 2 FIV cats who were mom and daughter. The mom was originally a stray and had the daughter while she was under my uncle’s care. He was a teenager at the time. Long story short, the 2 cats came to live with us and became strictly indoor cats. The mom had dental disease and eventually died at 16 from kidney failure. The daughter had epilepsy but lived to 18. She had perfect teeth and had a penchant for stealing fried chicken drumsticks off our plates, and we’d hear her crunching somewhere in the house. The difference in health and lifespan between my cats vs this community cat is striking. It is shocking and sad how significant living indoors and having an attentive owner is compared to a harsh life outdoors.