Fiv Positive Cat With A Cold - How Long Will This Last?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was hiding under the couch when I got home from picking up my father’s ashes. So back to the vet we went today. She said they could hospitalize him and run a bunch of tests and still not be able to give us any answers. With his FIV and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy he is basically a ticking time bomb. We knew this and I promised I would never make him suffer so we discussed euthanasia.

She agreed that it may be the right way to go. She decided she wanted to give it one last Hail Mary. She gave him a long acting steroid to help reduce the inflammation in his airway, a dose of ventolin, a dose of Benadryl and a dose of a different antibiotic. Bad medical practice she said, but we didn’t have much to lose. If nothing else it would give us some piece of mind that we tried everything.

We brought him home and he went back to hiding under the couch. I basically gave up hope. We took our dog for a walk and I sobbed through most of it (my poor husband has seen more snot from me and the cat this week than any man should ever see). We fed the dog and the rest of the cats and out comes Thomas. I got him some Friskies today, it isn’t good but it stinks. We put that out with some of the rescue food and he ate it. Almost a whole dinner!!!!

I cried so hard.

We are going to lock him up in a bedroom with some more food, water, and some kitten formula to see how he is overnight and what he eats (without all the help from the other cats).

If he continues to eat, we are back to the vet tomorrow afternoon for another steroid dose and another dose of the antibiotic. Hopefully we will be able to start him on oral medications after that. He is usually the easiest cat to pull, I coat it in a little butter and he will eat the pill and my finger with it but I can’t get him to take a pill if he won’t even eat.

He isn’t out of the woods yet, but at least I have hope again. He is the best cat that ever lived and he deserves so much more than life has given him. I just need a little more time to annoy him with my love.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We locked him in a room alone last night, he ate almost all the food that was in there with him. Now He is wandering around, like nothing at all happened.

Still congested but not as bad.

We are not out of the woods yet and now he is on steroids which could cause more problems, but he will be ok today. He is back to his happy, cuddly self.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We locked him in a room alone last night, he ate almost all the food that was in there with him. Now He is wandering around, like nothing at all happened.

Still congested but not as bad.

We are not out of the woods yet and now he is on steroids which could cause more problems, but he will be ok today. He is back to his happy, cuddly self.
Any updates?

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He finished the steroid last night so we are still in a bit of a wait and see pattern. We aren’t out of the woods until we are sure he doesn’t tank again once the steroids are out of his system.

But . . . The vet is pretty sure it was just a cold that he couldn’t get ahead of.

Assuming he stays well, he will be starting an antibiotic next week which he will take once a week for the rest of his life which should help prevent rhinitis (although I doubt that was the issue, it is a common issue for FIV cats).

Right now he is as right as rain. Back to his cuddly, food begging self. I got my face washed today -

We are very happy and very relieved. There were two visits in that 2 week period where I was sure we were going to have to say goodbye.

Sadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He finished the steroid last night so we are still in a bit of a wait and see pattern. We aren’t out of the woods until we are sure he doesn’t tank again once the steroids are out of his system.

But . . . The vet is pretty sure it was just a cold that he couldn’t get ahead of.

Assuming he stays well, he will be starting an antibiotic next week which he will take once a week for the rest of his life which should help prevent rhinitis (although I doubt that was the issue, it is a common issue for FIV cats).

Right now he is as right as rain. Back to his cuddly, food begging self. I got my face washed today -

We are very happy and very relieved. There were two visits in that 2 week period where I was sure we were going to have to say goodbye.
This reply made my night!