Fiv-positive Cat Immunity Support Without Lysine?

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone in a cat health group on Facebook mentioned lysine not working or being effective. I researched on my own and found the study they're probably thinking of when they say that about lysine. My mom's cat has FIV, none of mine do but I've bought lysine before for her to give him, after the vet prescribed lysine ran out. However, if lysine is no good, what would be better or good for immune support/immunity boosting other than lysine?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi WonterLunaCheese !

I don't know which study you're thinking of nor which one those folks may be talking about, BUT......

The first thing to point out is that L-Lysine (an essential amino acid) does nothing - NOTHING - to "boost the immune system". It's used in/with cats to help control the Feline Herpes virus.....and, it does that by depriving the virus of something it requires to replicate (Arginine). But, as a "immune booster", it does zip/zero/zilch.

Long before Facebook came along, this site (TCS) knew about two valuable resources dealing with FIV and with Lysine.

One of those is a long-term member here with a FIV+ kitty - and the other is a specialized online community devoted to the management of Feline Herpes.

First, the member....that's ldg: TheCatSite.com - Members - ldg Here's a post of hers about using a known immunity booster (Bovine Lactoferrin) in combination with L-lysine for her FIV+ kitty: Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine (if you miss her reference, she uses Jarrow's Lactoferrin)

The second of those resources, the specialized online Feline Herpes community is here: For companions of cats who have Feline Herpes Virus (FVR) (those folks have been online together for almost 20 years!). People in that group have been using and continue to use L-lysine with great effect all that time.

There was a "study" released about two years ago, allegedly "retrospective" (looking at historical studies), on the efficacy of L-lysine that not only poo-pooed its use, but warned against its use ("Arginine deficiency will result in hyperammonemia, which may be fatal."). Well, I wouldn't want to disparagel those "researchers", but, after years and years and thousands of cats surviving and thriving with therapeutic dosing of L-lysine, I think it's their "study" that deserves the poo-pooing. I posted to someone else about that here: Lysine Or Not? (You mentioned 'the Vet's lysine'.....a better value-for-money product is pure lysine powder, my preference being the Now brand.)

Anyways, hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysine is touted as "immunity support" which is why I figured it was "immunity boosting", I was wrong I guess in thinking that. However, lysine on various sites for FIV does not mention solely and only herpes but that lysine helps secondary infections in general. I don't even know with 100% certainty that my mom's FIV-positive cat even has feline herpes, he has always gotten the FVRCP vaccine and he has never had symptoms of a URI or feline herpes. I was given the lysine by the vet though to also "prevent flare ups of secondary infections", I'd think if they meant feline herpes alone, they'd mention that. I did mention I bought lysine in my post for my mom after the vet prescribed stuff though, it was powdered lysine. I will look into combining bovine lactoferrin with the lysine though, if it's even necessary at all.