FIV/ FeLV

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The FIV vaccine isn't recommended as a core vaccine, because it makes cats test positive on the only tests for FIV currently available. This is because FIV circulates at low levels in the blood, so the tests that have been developed test for the antibody (immune response to the virus, and what vaccines are supposed to create).

The FeLV vaccine isn't recommended as a core vaccine for adult cats, but it is recommended for kittens. I'm reading the reasoning in the 2008 AAFP Retrovirus guidelines, and it's less clear and convincing than the argument against routine vaccination for FIV. One of the reasons seems to be that some of the vaccines, at least, don't necessarily work all that well, especially on a longer time span (although this cat is probably only about 2 years old).

Another thing that could happen is that people just take the cat to a vet who does the legally necessary vaccines (in Georgia, I think rabies alone) and fix, and don't do anything else. If the cat was a drop-off, I'd really expect just-sufficient vet care, not vet care calibrated for the cat's expected life style.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An FIV/FeLV positive cat will probably not survive having his claws cut out. His immune system won't be strong enough to survive any surgery, especially an elective one involving bone removal. I would have no respect for a vet that would even consider doing such a surgery.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent news! They re-did just the ELISA combo in-office test, and the first one was apparently a dud of a test (or they make a mistake when they used it or something): the second one was negative. Yeah!

That was an emotional, must-find-foster-now roller coaster, but it's all good now.

Willowy, since the 2008 AAFP guidelines recommend neutering and spaying for any intact cats who are diagnosed with either disease, I suspect that some vets would de-claw positive cats. However, I did bring up the same reasoning (surgery on an immuno-compromised cat is even worse than surgery on healthy cat) and told him to ask the vet. Thankfully, it's now moot.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought that it wasn't considered safe to declaw an adult cat? That it is too rough on them recovering due to their weight? Would she consider soft paws or learning to clip the tips of his claws? True, declaw is better than death, but if he's used to being outdoors he's likely to sneak out a few times before he adjusts and outdoors is a bad place for a declawed kitty.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I surely don't know. I know that adult de-claw is more traumatic than a kitten de-claw, but in Georgia, I thought that both were pretty routine. It's a moot point now.

Well, it looks like the foster got used to the idea of taking this cat (S apparently did a very good personality sales job), and wants him after all. He's socially a bit of an outcast on the property, as apparently many of the drop-offs are, and clearly would prefer to be an owned cat. As I told S, and S agrees, that means no declaw, because the cat can stay on the property if necessary.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank goodness you did a re-test!
That's great that he may have a home, fingers crossed that she will still take him clawed

Along the lines of what Willow said, and I know it's moot now, but I would also think that an adult declaw on a FeLV, let alone a double-positive, would be extremely traumatic
There was a time when altering these immuno-compromised cats was discouraged, not that long ago actually, my very first FeLV cat 9 years ago was not altered because the vet didn't think he would make it thru the surgery and when I got another kitty neutered about 6 years ago the vet used a lower dose of anesthesia and I then also lost another kitten in a neuter surgery which may or may not have been related to his FeLV status. I've also had many others come to me already fixed that made it thru the surgery fine.

Anyhoo
I'm so glad he's negative!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it! I kind of thought it might be a false positive....when it comes back double positive on a healthy cat like that a dud is always to be suspected.

De-claws are NEVER routine. Some vets may do them routinely, but that doesn't make them any safer or more humane.

The main reason a spay/neuter is safer than a de-claw, even for FeLV-positive cats, is because altering does not involve the feet, or the removal of bone. Ask any (human) doctor----surgery on the feet is always more risky (post-op infection wise) than abdominal surgery.