FIV+ cat got into raw chicken while my back was turned. Should I be concerned?

Felis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,
as you can see from my post history, I adopted two adult female cats a few months ago. One of them, Fig, is FIV+ and 7 years old. She so far hasn't shown outward medical issues either at the shelter, or since she's been with us. She has a healthy appetite and weight (in fact, she could probably stand to lose a few pounds!)

Tonight I was a mess trying to get various chores done around the house. I had an open bag of trash laying on the floor. I kept it open since I was in the process of making dinner and figured I'd just throw my dinner-making trash in the bag I was about to tie off. I threw out an empty container that had previously had chicken in it. There was a pool of juices sitting in it. Stupidly, I let that sit on the top of the trash while my cats circled around waiting for their own dinner. After a few minutes, I turn back around to see Fig sniffing and/or licking the empty chicken container juices. I couldn't fully tell from the angle. I rush over and tied off the trash.

We haven't yet been able to establish a local vet for these guys since we got them so recently, so I can't exactly call one up and ask if I should be freaking out. If she did lap some raw chicken juices, what might be the signs to look for that she's sick? If it makes any difference at all, the chicken was organic, whole foods brand. Ugh. I'm so worried. Any insight or advice is much appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I concur. It would be very unusual for licking a few chicken drippings to upset a cat's health. LOL, even with the FIV, she should not have any issues at all. It can't be any worse than a bug, and they will eat those given half a chance!