Fish

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once a week I have been giving my kitten a bit of fish. I never take his usual food away but he does go back for the fish. Am I doing the wrong thing? A work colleague disagrees with it and says he should just have his own food! It’s only a little fish!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends, is the fish cooked in any herbs or spices? A little fish occassionally is not going to harm your cat. In fact, some canned (preferrably water packed and no salt) anchoives or sardines can make a great weekly treat and help your cats Omega 3 intake.

However, many seasonings we use are toxic to cats. Most commonly onion and garlic. So if you are feeding him bites of your seasoned fish you could be slowly posioning him.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a small bit of plain cooked fish will not hurt him once a week. I dont cook fish, but my guys do get some canned salmon, or tuna, or sardines a few times a week. They really like almo nature and tiki cat :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe instead of fish that you cook for your own meal, give your kitten seafood based canned cat food. A little bit as a treat is fine. Some seafood canned food are chunks or shreds of fish in gravy or jelly which cats love. Tiki Cat, Weruva, Soulistic, Fussie Cat are some. There are pictures here: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets

There are also "treat only" canned /pouch foods such as Applaws and Fancy Feast Filets and Appetizers.

Just remember to feed seafood as an occasional treat to prevent possible addiction to eating fish, avoid possible urinary tract issues, etc. Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat Once a week is fine but if you find your cat refusing to eat cat food, then stop giving fish for awhile and at a later time reintroduce it as a very occasional treat for special occasions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about avoiding seasoning and only feeding fish every now and then. LTS3 LTS3 is right about avoiding possible fish addictions: our previous cat was a definite fish freak!

LTS3 also mentioned Weruva foods so I thought I'd mention that I give our two cats a small can of one of Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen chicken/fish flavors (like Goldie Lox or Funk in the Trunk, the big favorite) every couple of weeks or so. They love it and chicken's the top ingredient but there's enough fish to give them a fish kick. It's a nice compromise food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.

It is just plain white fish I have been giving him, not seasoned. I have found that if I leave the empty bowl down he won’t touch his own food. I have had to hide my dogs food bowl though as I heard my kitten chomping the dogs food!.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats love Weruva's Mack and Jack. It's chunks of fish in jelly. I don't buy it or other seafood varieties too often.

How old is your kitten Alioscar2018 Alioscar2018 ?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No seasoning and just a little at a time.

I hate when people such as your coworker shun you for giving your pet "human food" like that. Is fish not in cat food too? Wouldn't it make sense for a cat who is a strict carnivore to eat a little straight meat like it is supposed to be doing in the first place and not pieces of dry kibble from a bag? What is more unnatural there?

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No seasoning and just a little at a time.

I hate when people such as your coworker shun you for giving your pet "human food" like that. Is fish not in cat food too? Wouldn't it make sense for a cat who is a strict carnivore to eat a little straight meat like it is supposed to be doing in the first place and not pieces of dry kibble from a bag? What is more unnatural there?
Unfortunately I work with many like her. I wouldn’t have minded but I wasn’t even talking to her!

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats love Weruva's Mack and Jack. It's chunks of fish in jelly. I don't buy it or other seafood varieties too often.

How old is your kitten Alioscar2018 Alioscar2018 ?
He is just 4 months old. He is growing. Definitely noticed a growth spurt just this weekend!