First Unknown Cat of the Season...

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight marks the first unknown, un-neutered cat on my stairs of the season and I'm angry! I'm angry because when one of these cats show up on my stairs my cats FLIP OUT!

Once I became painfully aware of the cat's presence on my stairs I went right over to the door and the foreign cat backed off the stairs to the foot of the stairs and just stood there. I then calmed my cats down and went outside. The cat backed away another 20 ft. I then watched the cat walk along the parking lot spraying on my car, my neighbors motorcycle (which has a cover on it), and my other neighbors truck. So, I think it's fair to say whether it's a male or female cat it's not neutered.

So, now I'm wondering what I should do. I live in a "neighborhood" of houses with my townhouse complex shimmied in the middle of it. But really no one around here talks to one another. I recognize the folks in my complex but I don't know anyone outside the complex. Therefore, I have no idea whether this cat belongs to someone or not. I didn't see a collar, but I also didn't get that close a look.

I will be calling my local humane society to hear what programs they are running in my town to deal with stray/feral cats around here... as there are many with all the college students who dump their pets at the end of the semester when they move back home with mom and dad.

I'm considering seeing if the humane society can lend me a trap so I can trap the cat and take them in. But I am concerned with the idea of leaving a trap outside and potentially starting a cycle of attracting cats to my apartment that I have no financial means to deal with and no knowledge whether the cat belongs to a neighbor or not.

I'm also considering buying one of those ultrasonic deterrants... the problem though with one of those is that because of the way my stairs are setup it is possible that I would set the alarm off coming up to the stairs, my neighbors could set it off playing in the back yard, squirrels in the backyard could set it off and be scared off and they are a great source of amusement for my furbabies and have never been a problem for me or my neighbors.

I've already sprayed my stairs with cat deterrant spray to hopefully keep the cat away at least until the next rainstorm comes through!

I don't want stray or feral cats on my stairs... I also don't want un-altered cats roaming my neighborhood. I'd rather be part of the solution than the problem, but I don't know what, if anything I should do.

-

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you have some good ideas already. Why not go ahead and trap this one (my bet is that he is male) and get him neutered. Your humane society should have a trap you can borrow and should be able to help you find some low-cost spay/neuter clinic. Where do you live? (so we can help you find resources in your area.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm going to call the Lowell Humane Society on monday... though I think they are actually closed on Mondays, I can't remember. Their office is connected to the vet where I took my cats in to get their shots n physicals. I'm curious to see what, if any, programs they have running down there anyway. They should be able to lend me a trap at least. I am concerned that if I leave food out that I'll be opening a big can of worms though as I know I have seen cats roaming around here before. It's just rare that they end up on my stairs. Normally I see them down the street a bit. This male must have just realized how pretty my babies are!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for wanting to stop the problem but in a way that works for the cats too!

If the Humane Society doesn't have a low-cost spay/neuter program or a trap to lend, you can also try searching for low-cost spay/neuter services via the link in my signature line - and you can try to find a trap to borrow by searching for shelters or rescue organizations, which you can find by clicking on the Rescue Resources link in my signature line.

Also, some vets have traps to lend.

If the Humane Society has a shelter, just beware that it is likely a kill shelter. Please discuss their policy and practices before you take a cat there.

Also - if I were you, I wouldn't worry about whether or not a cat was a neighbor's. If they weren't responsible enough to have that cat spayed or neutered, but they let that cat roam - then they have to deal with the consequences of that. If a cat is roaming, it clearly does not belong to a professional breeder, so I wouldn't worry a bit about having it spayed or neutered and just releasing it back where you trapped it. Just make sure that whatever vet or service you end up using uses dissolvable stitches if it's a female!

We have lots of trapping hints to help you. And just make sure you line the seat of your car with something in the even that the terrified cat vomits or pees (just in case it is a feral cat and has never been in a car).

Actually, we put dog wee-wee pads on the floor of the trap. They're light enough the cat can still trip the trap, and it covers up the feel of the wire on their feet, which can be a deterrent to getting a cat in the trap. (Most cats don't like walking on the wire and won't do so unless the food smells SO tempting, or unless they're really starving).

Lotsocats always uses kippered herring (no sauce) to get the cat into the trap and it's always worked for her. We've never had a problem using just tuna.

If we can be of any further help, please feel free to ask.

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some feed stores and pet stores around here rent traps out, but you can't borrow them from rescues or humane societies. If you find they won't lend them to you, either, check at pet and feed stores. I finally just bought a used one, which was easier than paying the $6 a day, because it is sometimes difficult to trap them and can take a long time. That $6 adds up!

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Also - if I were you, I wouldn't worry about whether or not a cat was a neighbor's. If they weren't responsible enough to have that cat spayed or neutered, but they let that cat roam - then they have to deal with the consequences of that. If a cat is roaming, it clearly does not belong to a professional breeder, so I wouldn't worry a bit about having it spayed or neutered and just releasing it back where you trapped it. Just make sure that whatever vet or service you end up using uses dissolvable stitches if it's a female!
Yeah this doesn't bother me too much, I was thinking exactly what you wrote here! This is not a breeders cat by any means. And though he's cute, he would be just as cute neutered!

Just as I expected the Humane Society is closed on Mondays. I'll try them again tommorrow to see what I can find out. If I can find a way to do this free of charge... that would be preferrable. And I know for sure this humane society is a kill shelter, so if I can just release him back that'd be what I would prefer. The cats around here do a spectacular job of keeping the mouse population down... Though I think they're slacking a little since I saw a little mouse the other night in my back yard!

I will absolutely be asking for trapping advice once I have a trap and DiMa, thanks for the tip about renting cages vs buying a used one! I'll keep that in mind! I'm pretty sure there if I don't find an acceptable arrangement with the local Humane Society that I can ask some other folks I know and find what I'm looking for with another group. There are many no-kill shelters that trap cats in my state, I just don't know how close to home they are. Driving is not an issue to me.

My biggest concern is attracting more cats to my back yard which will freak my cats out so the placement of the trap will be the biggest issue.
-

shaparis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Monica,

Iam not sure if you found a place to lend you a trap or not, and you mentioned Lowell, would that be Lowell, MA?

Is so, there is a group in Bolton, MA(you mentioned driving was not an issue) that should be able to help you; Second Chance Fund for Animal Welfare, Inc

hope that helps, lets us know how it all works out.

shannon

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in Lowell, MA. Thanks for the link!!! I'll be giving them a ring!

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little stray/feral boy showed up again on my back stairs last night after I soaked the stairs with deterrant spray... I think I should return that spray since it doesn't really deter anything! So now I know he was out there Saturday and Monday night and I think he was also here Sunday night as there was an unexplainable cat squabble in the middle of the night. I just didn't get downstairs soon enough to see him before he ran off.

I called our local Humane Society and they don't have traps and would likely put this cat to sleep if I brought him there.

I've left a message for the group in Bolton and I'm hoping to hear back from them. In the mean time... I'll see if I can find another group closer to home. Wish me luck!

shaparis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Monica,

here is a list on petfinder.com of all the shelters in MA , myabe you can find one closer that help you and the little guy...

shelters

I volunteer with a shelter in Ashland, pretty far from you, but let me see if they know of a group in the your area that could lend you a trap...

shannon

shaparis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Monica,
I heard back from the shelter I volunteer with, she suggested you check into Kitty Angels... they are experienced with trapping ferals and are in Tyngsboro, i think closer to you?

She also suggested you contact Second Chance again, or if you email me with your contact info i can pass it on to her--she said she would contact them as she knows someone there.

my email address is [email protected]

thanks!
shannon

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually called and left a message with Second Chance on Monday and haven't heard back yet. Their message said they were very busy with it being kitten season and such, so I'm not concerned that they haven't gotten to return my call.

I will be calling Kitty Angels later on today. I'm sure they're up to their eyeballs right now too, but their website did mention feral communities and if that's the worst that happens to this guy, then that's not too shabby!

To cease the strife in my house I taped up trashbags to cover the doors so even if the cat comes back my cats don't have to see him and freak out. It seemed to work last night! But clearly I'd rather see something good happen with the cat. I live on a street where there's traffic on it 24x7. Thankfully this guy's been hanging around out back so far.
-

shaparis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sounds good...let me know if you need any more help and keep us posted on what happens with the little guy

shannon