First Time Trying To Care For A Stray-indoors

Hilltop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend trapped a cat and had it neutered, then needed to find it a home. I took it in four days ago. I have fostered cats before but not strays/ferals. He is about 10 (we think), uses the litter box, has let me pet him, but has hidden in a corner of the room for four days. I am not sure how to approach/help him. He is a sweet tabby. Runs away from me if I get too close. He stays in two smaller rooms, mostly by himself. I come in to coo at him and talk a bit. How long will he hide? Should I try to approach/pet him? How to best help him feel calm and safe? Can I help him become socialized and adoptable? Wondering if he is actually feral, or just stray for a long time. He does meow to me when I talk to him and he has let me pet him after neutering. Any advice welcome!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After neuter, my 3 yo (at the time) feral/stray Bug hid and retreated for about 6 *weeks* during the hormone normalization process.
At one point he would purr...then hiss, attack, bat me, then purr and rub against my legs ...all within a 30 second window. The hormone changes whacked him out big time.

Give your guy plenty of space and time.... I would not expect miracles until he "normalizes". As i'm not a Vet I can't predict a timeframe...nor the intensity of his reactions. Only offering my experiences with my one and only feral TNK (trap, neuter and keep)

Nearly a year indoors, such a well behaved, BIG boy....you'd never know he was, at one time, a violent, nasty SOB.

bugwindow.JPG

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, I agree with what bigbadbass bigbadbass mentioned, give him space and time. Repeat the routine and approach him slowly and talk to him lovingly. After the anesthesia has diminished from his system, he’ll slowly warm up to you.
On your part, just don’t freak him out. Make him feel at home as comfortable as you can. With his meowing at you, you are already one up with him. Remember, it’s on his timing and terms and dont force and rush through it.

Please keep us posted and show us his photos
AD754D60-B195-47F5-ABC0-6D308CCD13DD.gif

simonschuster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent months sitting on the floor in the room my once feral girl stayed in, talking to her, giving her slow eye blinks, and petting her from afar by using a telescoping camping fork with a plastic spoon taped on. I learned that she controls the pace and I could not rush her, but talking to her and having her learn that I was safe and that she could trust me eventually happened- over time! I'd say close to 5 months from initially bringing her indoors to happily acclimated. Good luck!!!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a thanks for taking in an old guy. Patience is the key but you are way ahead of the curve if he will let you pet him at this stage.

Ditto on the pics

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley::hithere::welcomesign: You are a wonderful person for taking this poor old guy in, and your friend is fabulous for trapping him and giving him a chance for a happier life:salam: After being a full male for 10 yrs being neutered must have been extremely traumatizing and the fact that he is talking to you and letting you pet him is amazing and really shows his character:catrub:. Are you giving him a forever home? Did the vet do a checkup or just neuter? Even after a year our ex-stray Gypsy still isn't big on cuddles unless she initiates. I'd advise not approaching him or invading his hiding place but rather just sit quietly with him watching TV, reading to him and/or low radio playing something not scary sounding. You are doing great.:clap::clap2: Post some pictures when you can:camera:, give him a few pets for us and keep us updated.:touched::wave2::catlove:May each day of the New Year be filled with contentment, opportunities, peace and abundance. Happy New Year!

Last edited: