First Time To Own A Cat And May Be The Last.

Hala aeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a so beautiful kitten few weeks ago for the first time in my life, few days later we discovered that she was sick by panleukopenia virus. She was fighting for more than 2 weeks, although she was 2 months old which is so long for a weak kitten. I learnt how to give Intramuscular and subcutaneous injections for her as we don't have any vets available all the day here, even those who were available said she will die take her home, they were lazy to try. Today she was laying next to me looking directly to my eyes like she was saying good bye. she couldn't fight anymore and she passed away. I feel horrible losing her and I hope that I did everything i can do for her.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful kitten! Panleukopenia virus is very cruel. There is almost nothing you can do to save a kitten that has it. It is almost always a deadly illness.

You want to clean up well, what ever she came into contact with. The virus can linger for a while. I might not bring in another cat for a few months anyway. You may decide to get another one in the future. Maybe a slightly older cat?

Give your self time to Grieve over your kitten, no rush to get a new one or decide not to.. Someday you may decide to open your heart, and home to another cat. I have lost several over my lifetime, somehow i always find the love and room for more.

Keep us updated on how you are doing. Sending you my best wishes for a peaceful day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I know your heart is broken. Both you and your kitten fought so very hard. But in the end, you did NOT lose all of the battle. No, she could not survive this horrible disease that takes so many, but she died being loved and held. She died knowing what a home was. She left you giving you her blessings for caring so much. Thank you.

Someday in the future, another kitten may look into your eyes and see your heart. When that happens, try to remember this...The only way we can protect ourselves from the pain of loss also protects us from the joy of loving. And, for me, at least, the joy is so much greater than the pain.

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a so beautiful kitten few weeks ago for the first time in my life, few days later we discovered that she was sick by panleukopenia virus. She was fighting for more than 2 weeks, although she was 2 months old which is so long for a weak kitten. I learnt how to give Intramuscular and subcutaneous injections for her as we don't have any vets available all the day here, even those who were available said she will die take her home, they were lazy to try. Today she was laying next to me looking directly to my eyes like she was saying good bye. she couldn't fight anymore and she passed away. I feel horrible losing her and I hope that I did everything i can do for her.

I'm so very sorry. She knows you loved her, and that you did your very best to try to help her. Bless you!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. We take a gamble when we get them, but to me, it's always worth it. You gave that sweetheart a good home and lots of love. Doesn't matter how old or how long you had the kitty -- love is love. It's a privilege to have them in our lives. Allow yourself time to grieve. It's very hard. There is a rainbow bridge section on here and lots of people who understand.
God bless you for being a great cat parent.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you know that she went over the Bridge knowing she is loved. She was probably not saying "goodbye", but was saying "thank you for caring for me and giving me a warm home, and I love you, too, but we have to part ways for right now...."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs: Rest assured you did everything you could to save her from suffering and she is at peace now. Treasure the brief memories you had of her, they will live in your heart forever. RIP sweet kitten. :angel:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is not the time to be making permanent decisions about future adoptions; this is the time to grieve your loss. Grieving is a painful but necessary task when we lose someone we love. It does get better, if you grieve properly, but it takes time. Please see this thread: Grieving

Also, please be aware that we'll be here for you throughout the process. Everyone here knows how painful it is to lose a cat or a kitten. We understand about the self-blame (which you don't deserve, by the way), and the feeling that you never want to let yourself in for this kind of pain ever again, and we know that the only way through it is to grieve.

We have lots of shoulders here for you to cry on, and no one here will ever say something stupid like "It was just a cat. Get over it already!" We know better. We know that however short her life was, your kitten was part of your family, and it hurts to lose a family member.
The Panleukopenia virus can survive for up to a year on clothing, furniture, floors and walls, etc.; you'll need to clean very thoroughly, and when and if you do decide to adopt again you should make sure that any new cat or kitten you get has been vaccinated against it, and that the vaccine has had time to be effective.

Margret

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, I know the pain of losing several so young to that horrible disease. The older ones that had been vaccinated did fine. There was nothing more to be done, you did all you could.
I hope you can take comfort in the fact that she needed you so very much for comfort and care and you were there for her. I don't know why something so innocent, so wanted, has to go. It doesn't make sense to our grieving hearts. But I do know one thing for sure, you developed a bond with that sweet girl, and that you will keep forever. She was in your life for a reason, she walked alongside you on your life's journey for a little while and she filled your heart with love.
She so desperately needed someone to love, and you were chosen. She left you with a tie to her soul, and would like nothing more than for you to honor your love and her name by passing on a little of that love to another. There are so many who need someone to love and our hearts are big enough to accept them all, like a mother with many children, each one unique and precious. Don't let this wall off that herat, keeping her love in darkness and pain. Allow it to bloom in the sunshine, to spread it's wings, to bring you comfort with the good memories of that sweet little brave face. Don't let the death be more important than the life.
Ill keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, may you be blessed for your loving that little angel.
RIP little chosen one. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you know that she went over the Bridge knowing she is loved. She was probably not saying "goodbye", but was saying "thank you for caring for me and giving me a warm home, and I love you, too, but we have to part ways for right now...."
This sums it up so sweetly.....

I am sorry for your loss, sometimes these horrible things happen and we don't know why, it just seems so unfair but maybe God needed a little Angel for a little child to hold in Heaven.

When your heart heals and you feel like you can do it please get another cat to take care of, a heart as big and caring as yours needs another little one to love and care for. When you are ready....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry....I saw your thread about you asking how to help your sweetie and I tried to bump it as much as I could. I’m sure you did everything you could have done for her, you were the best pet parent she could ask for in that you didn’t give up. Don’t feel guilty and give yourself time to recover from this. Losing a cat is losing a friend, but keep in mind that you shouldn’t make the decision to never have a cat again. Your mind might change in the future. I know how hard these types of things are as I had my beautiful rabbit of 12 years pass away a few years ago. You never fully forget about it and I’m sure you will think about her every day but you need to remember that you’ve done what you could.

Up there, I’m sure the kitty is looking down on you with a smile. Despite the short time you’ve been with your furbaby that you rescued the bond you’ve built fighting for her will never be broken or forgotten. Best wishes and vibes from Benji and his momma :vibes::vibes::vibes: