first time mama cat leaves her babies to sleep with me alone

vannithefurdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my furbaby just gave birth fully around 1 hour ago, and she took care of them really well and let them nurse, but sometimes she would growl at them but didn't hiss or attack in any way so i'm glad for that but, every time they go to sleep are just don't scream for her, she jumps on my bed and tries to fall asleep on me but the babies don't like that and when they start crying again she rushes towards them and growls but still feeds them her milk. and one time i accidentally dozed off and shes just laying on me for like 30 mins tops before she gives in to the cries of her kitten. is this abnormal? should i keep on stopping her from doing this? also is it bad that she calls me over when feeding them to just sit there and pet her?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, everything you describe is very normal for a confused, upset, first-time mother. some cats who give birth in the wild completely abandon their little ones because they don't understand what is happening and are so confused and upset. Her instincts are telling her to take care of the babies, but she isn't sure how. Just make sure they are warm, and encourage her to go to them and nurse them. As she gets more comfortable with the idea, instinct should kick in, but it may take a couple of days. she has a very strong bond with you and is asking you to guide her through this. so for a while, you may have to sit with her and encourage her to stay. it will all settle down, she'll learn to love them!
Remember, some cats are just not good mothers, so it would be a good idea to start weighing each of the kittens every day and make sure they are thriving. I truly think she will settle down after a while, especially where she IS feeding them some. Do NOT let her outside, I recommend you have her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned, they can become pregnant again in as little as a week. You could be raising litter after litter, I had one cat have 17 kittens in a summer!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is hormonal behavior and lasts a couple of days. Mom will usually settle. She’s growling because the latching and nursing is initially painful.

You received excellent advice from di and bob di and bob as well as StefanZ StefanZ .

Best of luck, do set a spay date, and keep us posted! 😻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vannithefurdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is hormonal behavior and lasts a couple of days. Mom will usually settle. She’s growling because the latching and nursing is initially painful.

You received excellent advice from di and bob di and bob as well as StefanZ StefanZ .

Best of luck, do set a spay date, and keep us posted! 😻
yeah we were already were planning to spay her but then she turned out to be pregnant so we just decided to set her to be spayed after the kits are fully grown enough to not depend on her.