First time litter... how long before labour starts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the kitten suckling at her nipple? If so, it will get colostrum the first 24 hours, then milk comes in behind it. Weighing the kitten daily in grams will tell you if the kitten is gaining weight. You should be able to get a small syringe free at a pharmacy in the meantime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my miracle nipple arrived tonight and I have just successfully given him 4 mls of milk. I over the moon as he’s really tiny and I don’t think getting much from Mum but has refused the bottle. My question is.... it says that you are in control of syringe feeding and you should drip feed one drop at a time, however he just sucked the whole lot down. Is that because he’s starving or because he was doing it wrong? Meantime Mum is so throaty and sounds chesty. She has hardly eaten again today. So worried for both of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he sucked it down like that he is hungry! He needs feeding every 2 hours. Really try to do this even through the night for now because it sounds like he needs it. Has he gained any weight yet?

Mom sounds sick with a respiratory infection and like she may need an antibiotic. If she’s not eating she likely has fever and feels poorly. Please get her to a vet for meds ASAP because if her kitten gets it he may die since he’s so tiny.

So glad kitten is liking the Miracle Nipples. I hope he continues eating well, and you can get mom to the vet tomorrow. Keep us posted.

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying. You’re awake as early as I am! Ok relieved to hear that because you hear about kittens inhaling rather than swallowing. I’m just so pleased he took it after so much refusal. I haven’t weighed him yet today but will let you know. Last night he was up 7g from birth weight. Mum had a long last antibiotic injection post op on Wednesday but I have an appt today at the vets for her. She’s crying a lot which is unlike her and sounds like she needs a good cough to cough up flem. Vet thought it was from the tube during the op and should settle but it is sounding worse so will speak to them about that too. Mum has just eaten. Hurrah! A little bit of sardine and some of her dry food - first time since Tuesday night. Mum is attentive to the kitten but definitely wants to be with me more so if I’m. It with the kitten she will be with me. Maybe that’s because she feels rotten though. Hopefully the vets will come up with ideas and it will all resolve itself quickly. Thanks for your support. I’m so tired! Have to see if I can get 30 mins shut when before next feed as need to drive my son in 4 hours 🤪

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know how tiring this is — hang in there! :lovecat2:

P.S. If he’s getting some milk from mom you can leave him with her long enough to get 3-4 consecutive hours of sleep at some point. Then, once he’s gaining steadily and over 100 grams you can probably sleep through the night and just give the day feedings. That should be real soon! Perhaps he’ll even eventually get most of his milk from mom. We’ll see how it goes.

Last edited:

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you but I’m honestly feeling so fed up and teary. I’m so tired and neither of them are feeding properly. Just tried sringing again and he won’t take it however still i try and hold him. I even feel like mum cat is asking me to do it as she knows he’s not getting enough from her but he just wont take it. Another night of two hours sleep, it’s only day two and i’m at breaking point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, if he won’t take the milk then he’s full for now. No worries — you’ve offered.

Go sleep for a few hours. You can’t help anyone else if you’re falling apart from lack of sleep. He took 4mLs earlier — that was a lot! Please rest now. He has his mom too.

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the vet says her lungs are clear, they think the rasping is upper respiratory inflammation from the tube; they’ve taken bloods and no infection markers, kidneys and calcium levels are ok. She still has a temperature - 39.7, down from 40 yesterday. They’ve given her fluids, metacam injection, appetite stimulant, RC recovery liquid, antibiotics and an enema type injection to help with the constipation. I’m to give her lactulose tonight and take her back in the morning. They are happy with the kitten, says he’s a good weight, just latched on for 20 mins (she seems to have a bit of milk), no temperature etc. So just need to get Birdie well. Her temp may make sense of why she is keen to get out of the nest after feeding and settling him because of the heat pad being too warm for her perhaps? Poor baby. What an ordeal. I feel terrible for putting her through it. Determined she’ll pull through though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds a bit better. Make sure the heating pad is set on low and there’s room for mom and baby to move off in the nest if they get too hot. I agree that is why mom gets out.

How are baby’s feedings going? Has he gained weight again?

Thank you for the fantastic care of mom and baby you are seeing to! Have you gotten some sleep? I’m worried about you too!

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah thank you so much. Good to know I’m not on my own. You’ve been so incredibly supportive. I really appreciate it. It’s kept me going! Kitten put on 13g yesterday and weighed a respectable 99g this morning. The vet is happy with him which is so great. She suggested I try and top him up every now and then during the day and see how he’s doing based on his weight.
I just need to give Birds lots of tlc and coax her to eat!
I am shattered I must say - arrived at the vets this morning half an hour early because I forgot the time🤪.
Planning to make lunch get the cats back, settle them in and then try and nap before tonight’s escapade starts. May have had too much caffeine though! 🙏🏻

DottyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and I’m in the UK so weather not quite as lovely as Florida! In fact it’s pouring with rain today 😂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually we are quite cloudy and humid today, though we do have much more sun than you do in general. I think the rain is nice for napping though, but not for errands out!

It really sounds like the baby is doing very well! I agree with the vet to top him off and see how well he gains. I hope mom will be better soon too with all the supportive care such as fluids and metacam. Metacam is a fantastic anti-inflammatory.

Get some rest and I’ll keep the good vibes going for you! :catlove: